Author Topic: How to create something like Soddy Circles  (Read 7254 times)

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
How to create something like Soddy Circles
« on: July 09, 2015, 06:10:49 AM »
I've tried to create a dynamic block where I want to do this:

The block contains several circles. The largest one is on location 0,0, the others are around this large one. Each circle has a polar move parameter/action with a minimum distance of it's own radius plus the radius of the large one. So if I move the circle, it won't overlap the large one. See image 1.

But between each pair of two other circles there must be a parameter too, to prevent the circles from overlapping eachother as well. But I was not able to solve that in the dynamic block. The second circle has a blue grip but if I move it, the circle jumps far away the other side of the large one. See image 2.

Included the drawing with the block. Anyone who can point me in the right direction?
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: How to create something like Soddy Circles
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:18:38 AM »
there is some math involved there.. however using geometric constraints you should be able to construct this as a dynamic block...at least I think one could.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:39:07 AM »
I've seen that and read the formulas for this but it is not exactly what I need :-)

Actually it is for calculating the most efficient radius for a bundle of pipes in a drill. It looks like Soddy Circles, but that is only for three circles, and a bundle can have more. So I thought to use a dynamic block, add stretch parameters to the circles with a minimum of the radius of both circles where the parameter is between. It works like expected but only for two circles. If I add a third, or fourth and so on, and add new parameters, the circles will behave weird.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:59:29 AM »
then you need this:  APOLLONIAN CIRCLE PACKINGS

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 11:01:14 AM »
This looks to be more in the realm of programmatically achievable, more so than dynamic blockable
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 12:24:54 PM »
I think Lee Mac could alter his fractal routine to do this....HELLO LEE MAC!!!! Where are you?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 03:10:36 PM »
This looks to be more in the realm of programmatically achievable, more so than dynamic blockable

Thanks for pointing me to Apollonian circle packings, it is indeed better than soddy circles.

But first I thought too it should be programmatically solved, but now I think creating a dynamic block is a better solution. Users can shuffle the circles until they are satisfied (they have sometimes other reasons for a certain solution than solved by a formula).