Author Topic: Animated gifs inserted in a digital drawing  (Read 17216 times)

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
Animated gifs inserted in a digital drawing
« on: August 06, 2015, 07:23:19 AM »
Animated gifs are great for getting some 3D thoughts over.
Would it (ever) be possible to share these in a PDF or DWF drawing as image insert.
I definitely would use that ability.
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

ChrisCarlson

Re: Animated gifs inserted in a digital drawing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:14:08 AM »
I think these are limited to the meme world. We are still waiting for a reliable, consistent 3D PDF output from AutoDesk.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:43:17 AM »
They will run in GMAIL

or during a Powerpoint Slide show...(must be running)

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 09:50:18 AM »
Animation is an just other method for communicating ideas. Like drawings, like 3D models
People often think that providing 3D model is the ultimate way and everybody will be happy and is able to work with it.
I doubt it. Most of the times you get more questions back than that answers.

What advantage does PDF for 3D have, I am not sure I see them very clear.

.. what I would like is to get animation into the drawing to give the reaer a better idea how it looks in 3D.

Cheers

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 09:55:41 AM »
So, you want to add 3D gif because it is better than 3D model? Please explain how.

To me the animation does not give the "reader" any control. With a model, they can look, walk, or fly around the model as he chooses.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 09:58:38 AM »
Another point to consider...well chosen views and sections, probably answer more questions than they generate.

Otherwise this whole art of technical drawing would have likely never evolved as a means to communicate.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 10:11:40 AM »
Rob,

Thanks for your comment.  It is just my point of view on drawing and using 3D model (output) to get things done.

Animations do not give any control, they provide insght. The same goes for sections, 3D views (stills). It is just a different flavor...
Drawings, stills & animations are in most cases better then the full blown 3D model in the way that they are '..to the point..',
The 3D model itself always has have to manipulated by the reader in some way to get the same perspective on things.

I can accept if you disagree. Please comment and base some arguments that a drawing combined with a animation is not how it should be done.
How would you like it then? ('.. without getting into Revit is better 3D then AutoCAD..' discussions)

Kind regards

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:16:34 AM »
Rob,

Thanks for your comment.  It is just my point of view on drawing and using 3D model (output) to get things done.

Animations do not give any control, they provide insght. The same goes for sections, 3D views (stills). It is just a different flavor...
Drawings, stills & animations are in most cases better then the full blown 3D model in the way that they are '..to the point..',
The 3D model itself always has have to manipulated by the reader in some way to get the same perspective on things.

I can accept if you disagree. Please comment and base some arguments that a drawing combined with a animation is not how it should be done.
How would you like it then? ('.. without getting into Revit is better 3D then AutoCAD..' discussions)

Kind regards
Well, I guess I'm out.... :|
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 10:17:12 AM »
Decidely I can see huge value in a GIF for things like assembly and or erection procedures.

Also to show how parts relate to other parts.  These are things that static sections a poor at doing.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 10:19:03 AM »
That hurt didn't it M@yhem ;-) Goodbye then

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 10:23:28 AM »
Navisworks and 3D PDF are actually very easy to navigate - we've had sales people, executives, and engineers driving during presentations and fabricators in the shop and field.  Even if that is a problem, they have things like saved views which can be called up.  In the case of Navisworks there is also the ability to "play" animation backwards as well as forwards, jump to a specific time, and so on.  It doesn't play in real-time as well as an animation but when stopped you can look around and go "off script", not just what's dictated in the animation.  Not to mention the ability to hide or make objects transparent/different color, search by criteria, oh and Timeliner features, and ...

Putting animation in a drawing adds clutter without adding technical clarity, which is the point of a drawing.  Animation has its place, usually in the marketing field where it's more important to present/look pretty than answer detailed questions.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
If I go by what my boss said at my first drafting position, you would be correct.

He said that you should assume the people reading your drawings are idiots. Only show them what they need to build your design. Too much information and they will get confused. Not enough and they won't be able to build it.

How do you propose getting the animation on paper?

CAD Tech

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 10:32:30 AM »
I would print it to dwf (... in case Autodesk would be able to give .gif animation supported..)
I am taking about digital abilities, not paper Rob.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 10:41:53 AM »
I'm going to have to agree with dgorsmann. It's nothing more than eye candy. Many other, more useful options already out there.
CAD Tech

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 10:54:03 AM »
The trouble I see with an animated gif is whether the person viewing it can speed it up or slow it down if needed.

We have produced 3d pdfs on Microstation where a non-technical person was able to view the model from where they wanted to see it, and could rotate the view like picking up the object... sort of
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.