Author Topic: Working with one workset  (Read 1524 times)

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
Working with one workset
« on: June 19, 2015, 08:07:06 am »
I got into a discussion with some people the other day about having only one workset in a Revit project; I heard this topic come up before and when I heard it I thought about it and decided it would "work" but it wasn't really something I was interested in implementing. They asked me how it's done, I explained the theory behind it (Setting up View templates that use VG and Filters to keep things clean). My view templates already do this (as a fail-safe) and I guess I could eliminate worksets with little impact on my current setup but...*meh* I mean, I'd have to create some more filters to achieve some of the finer control and I just don't have the time--or energy--to put forth the extra effort to end up back in the same place as I am now.

I'm interested in what you guys think/do.
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Working with one workset
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 08:27:11 am »
As I was trying to explain that we don't use worksets for visibility because there are better ways to accomplish the same thing, I realized that we are still using them for visibility and had to start typing my response all over again.

We have separate trade models and the sub-trades get their own worksets which are turned off by default. I also take the extra step to turn off categories in the view templates that aren't necessary for particular sheet views. This is probably overkill but it allows for greater flexibility. So, I guess although we don't rely on them for visibility, we just can't totally make the break from that methodology because we do use them and visibility is an added benefit.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:50:10 am by Rob... »
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 08:46:22 am »
lol
Yeah, I agree. I like my stuff easy--to use/understand--and clean as possible and worksets are simple and quick.

Back story:
When I first heard about the concept I was talking with a "colleague" and they *scoffed* and looked at me funny when I said I was still using worksets (they were fishing for the response though, they brought up the topic). Funny how some people want to flaunt their "expertise"; I just view their `expertise' as a waste of my time.

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:29:36 pm »
If it's just "me" on a project I only use worksets when it benefits me, like breaking a part architectural components (exterior, interior, etc.) for exporting into navis. Worksets have huge benefits but aren't "needed" IMHO... depends on situation

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 10:49:27 am »
In those cases, you still have *a* workset though right rvhwlc?

Anyone have experience with Revit Server and worksets (problems, gotchas, etc)? -i.e. can you have one workset with RS or do you "need" more for "reason x"?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • "GRAMR? I need no stinkin' gramr!"
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 11:37:33 am »
Right now for my Radiological Assessment project, I have multiple worksets and they have been very helpful for selecting only what is needed.  Prior to this project, I have had very little need for worksets beyond having one created for use when setting the project up as central model.
I learned my lessons ... SLOWLY ~ Unknown

=   =   =  ACA 2015, Revit Arch 2015 & 16 Navisworks Manage 2015 & 16 on 64bit on Win7P  =   =   =   =

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 11:53:29 am »
Newb here, but I thought worksets were for working local and handled locking and updates to central.

How do they effect visibility?

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 11:59:25 am »

They don't directly but they can be used to turn on/off large groups of stuff.
CAD Tech

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 12:02:54 pm »

So there are not 1,578 different things that effect visibility there are 1,579.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 12:13:37 pm »

So there are not 1,578 different things that effect visibility there are 1,579.

lol

Yes but, you "do stuff" (draw pipe, duct, walls, etc) in a workset and that workset allows you to control the visibility of those items in a view.  Basically there is only one way to control the visibility of an object and that is it's class -i.e. you turn off/on the class of item you want to see: walls. The problems start when you want to only see "interior" walls on this plan; you need a way to distinguish "exterior" walls from "interior" walls. Worksets are the easiest method to distinguish items of a class.

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 03:19:54 pm »
In those cases, you still have *a* workset though right rvhwlc?

Anyone have experience with Revit Server and worksets (problems, gotchas, etc)? -i.e. can you have one workset with RS or do you "need" more for "reason x"?
By definition if your model is workshared then you must have at least one workset by default. I use RSN so I always have a workshared model. Plus I may need other team members to jump in the model in my absence or help for a day or two with simple tasks so yes I always have a workset (again by default). No workhared model, no no worksets.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 03:25:47 pm »
Yep. Sorry, I was just "validating the level of advice" [-i.e. I wanted to make sure you weren't just working on a non-workshared file on the network].

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 03:36:48 pm »
Okay good deal seems we are on the same page after all

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 07:14:00 am »
Sorry to "bump" this topic to the "swamp surface"  :)  but I'm glad I found it.

I was looking for validation of the way I use worksets, and explain to others.

I too.. use worksets to control visibility of groups of stuff, I try not make too many.
Yes there are other ways to control what you see, view filters etc, but this is by far the easiest way to handle groups of stuff from many different catagories, and it can be incorporated into view templates as well.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2017, REVIT 2017, Inventor Professional 2015