Author Topic: Revit Tips and Tricks  (Read 6738 times)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Revit Tips and Tricks
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 03:00:21 pm »
"He" means this.  :)
Changing the linked view settings.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Building Performance Analysis Certified (BPAC v3.0)
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 03:06:25 pm »
Do you adjust model category settings at all or is it strictly by linked view?

On a side note, this is a great thread. I'm learning a lot.
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 03:09:23 pm »
Do you adjust model category settings at all or is it strictly by linked view?

On a side note, this is a great thread. I'm learning a lot.
Occasionally I'll have to adjust the model cats. Maybe turn off the detail category and some of the lines. And like I said, we tweak the annotation as well to turn off grids (we copy/monitor them so we have full control over if they all adjust in cropped views), dimensions, text, tags, etc...
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 03:11:25 pm »
Ah, I thought you meant "By Linked View" (that middle toggle button at the top).
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 03:12:10 pm »
Ah, I thought you meant "By Linked View" (that middle toggle button at the top).
I am setting a linked view but then I'm tweaking it.
Autodesk Expert Elite

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 03:20:14 pm »
Each view? Each level?

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 03:30:33 pm »
Each view? Each level?
When I set up my template project, I created a view template (FLOOR_01) with all of the settings I wanted to use for the first floor. I then duplicated that view template and renamed it to FLOOR_02. I changed the linked view from first floor to second floor. All other settings remained as-is. I repeated this process to create a total of 15 view templates - one for each floor. I have custom project browser settings that I use to organize views into new, existing, demo, by levels, etc.... I set the project browser to display all new views by level. I then selected all of the first floor trade views - HVAC, plumbing, fire protection, etc - and applied the FLOOR_01 view template. I did this for all of the 15 floors in my template project. It sounds like a lot of work but I got it set up in probably less than an hour (once I got my view settings EXACTLY how I wanted them).
Autodesk Expert Elite

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2015, 07:53:03 am »
I'm sorry, but that does sound way too complicated. So, in theory, to set up a project you'd have to re-adjust up to 15 view templates (nope, not for me)?

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2015, 07:56:52 am »
I thought I had a lot of view templates. I haven't had a need for different view templates for different floors. Why are you guys doing that?
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2015, 08:09:04 am »
I'm sorry, but that does sound way too complicated. So, in theory, to set up a project you'd have to re-adjust up to 15 view templates (nope, not for me)?
What would have to be re-adjusted?? It's in the template. You swap out the placeholder architectural model with the actual project model, align the levels if need be and you're done.
Autodesk Expert Elite

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2015, 08:21:45 am »
What would have to be re-adjusted?? It's in the template. You swap out the placeholder architectural model with the actual project model, align the levels if need be and you're done.

Template: View is linked to FLOOR_01
New Link: View to link to is FIRST LEVEL-ricky

How does your template know to look for the right view without some updating of those templates?

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2015, 08:23:15 am »
I thought I had a lot of view templates. I haven't had a need for different view templates for different floors. Why are you guys doing that?

I would imagine the little settings like "view ranges" and whatnot that can be different per floor.

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2015, 08:24:54 am »

Template: View is linked to FLOOR_01
New Link: View to link to is FIRST LEVEL-ricky

How does your template know to look for the right view without some updating of those templates?
That would be the ONLY thing that needs to be updated.

As for View Ranges, I have the top view range set to LEVEL ABOVE (minus 6" to accommodate for decking above) so that's not an issue.
Autodesk Expert Elite

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2015, 08:30:22 am »
I would imagine the little settings like "view ranges" and whatnot that can be different per floor.

If I need something other than the level above and below and maybe an offset, I take view range out of the template.
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2015, 08:35:12 am »
That would be the ONLY thing that needs to be updated.

As for View Ranges, I have the top view range set to LEVEL ABOVE (minus 6" to accommodate for decking above) so that's not an issue.

Hey, no biggie to me; I just feel that is too much work tracking down those views and making the changes in each of those view templates. Every method has bottle necks and some methods will work better in different situations.