Author Topic: Revit Tips and Tricks  (Read 7468 times)

hudster

• Gator
Revit Tips and Tricks
« on: June 05, 2015, 09:59:01 am »
I did a search and couldn't find a Revit tips and tricks thread, so I started one.

I didn't know you could do this till today, but if you make a window selection of any objects, you can quickly run a revit interference check on only the selected items.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Revit Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:04:37 am »
Hey! That is a good one! I can't wait to try it out!
CAD Tech

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 10:10:53 am »
Hey! That is a good one! I can't wait to try it out!
#outofcontextthread
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Building Performance Analysis Certified (BPAC v3.0)
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:20:54 am »
You can toggle off ribbon tabs that you may not use.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 10:37:24 am »
You can toggle off ribbon tabs that you may not use.

caveat: If you toggle off the electrical tab you can NOT add the electrical parameters to your families if/when building/working on families.
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 10:56:40 am »
good idea hudster

TIP:

Create a sheet in the project browser and do not place any views on it. Select it, Ctrl+C, then Ctrl+V (repeatedly) and it'll add more sheets and incrementally number them. Preexisting views in a template is best, but this is quick n dirty when needing to improvise on the fly..

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 11:08:03 am »
A quick tip for creating a quick 3D view of a room or space.

Download the free coins Auto-Section plugin from https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3acoinsauto-sectionbox%3aen

once installed, if you select a room or space on your revit floor plan, click on the Auto Section Box, under Add-ins, and you get a very handy 3D view of just the selected room.

I created a view template for this which doesn't load the Architecture, allowing me to see only the services created in the selected space.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 11:15:39 am »
good idea hudster

TIP:

Create a sheet in the project browser and do not place any views on it. Select it, Ctrl+C, then Ctrl+V (repeatedly) and it'll add more sheets and incrementally number them. Preexisting views in a template is best, but this is quick n dirty when needing to improvise on the fly..
Better/faster yet is to create a sheet list schedule and insert data rows in the schedule. When you're ready to create your sheets, click on the VIEW tab, SHEET COMPOSITION panel and then click SHEET. You'll see all of the "data rows" from your sheet list that have yet to be converted to sheets.

I use this method a lot because it's faster to edit the sheet info in a schedule view rather than create the sheet and double-click on the various fields to edit the info.
Autodesk Expert Elite

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 11:17:52 am »
A quick tip for creating a quick 3D view of a room or space.

Download the free coins Auto-Section plugin from https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3acoinsauto-sectionbox%3aen

once installed, if you select a room or space on your revit floor plan, click on the Auto Section Box, under Add-ins, and you get a very handy 3D view of just the selected room.

I created a view template for this which doesn't load the Architecture, allowing me to see only the services created in the selected space.
In Revit 2016 you can use a SELECTION BOX to create a 3D view of selected elements.
Autodesk Expert Elite

rvhwlc

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 11:33:21 am »
great tip on sheets Mayhem, you're right even better yet.

TIP:

in section view you cannot dimension to bottom of pipe, duct or conduit. Turn off the Rise/Drop symbols per category and you can dimension to the quadrants. Because of this you can set exact bottom of pipe/duct/conduit dimensions while keeping the justify anchor set to center. This helps since OD dimensions can throw bottom or top of duct or pipe as fractions. This also lets you use align in Section view so you can quickly align an entire rack of multi sized pipes along an edge or plane.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 11:59:44 am »
To eliminate having to set up a template with "dummy links" and views already created; create a view template for a floor plan that will allow you to adjust VG quickly for all new floor plans created. -e.g. that template will be assigned to all new views so copy monitor levels, create plans, adjust "Revit Links" for the VG of that view template and all views are setup.

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 01:59:21 pm »
7, we are utilizing view templates but are transferring them because our BIM manager doesn't want to load up the project template with what amounts to be quite a few of them. The settings for links do not transfer. This was a real thorn in my side recently. Do the RVT Link settings stick, if the view templates are kept in the project template?
CAD Tech

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 02:09:08 pm »
7, we are utilizing view templates but are transferring them because our BIM manager doesn't want to load up the project template with what amounts to be quite a few of them. The settings for links do not transfer. This was a real thorn in my side recently. Do the RVT Link settings stick, if the view templates are kept in the project template?
Yes and no. If you set up one of those templates with the `dummy link' then yes sortof (they will remember that they are supposed to control the rvt link but not the settings within).  ...I do not use `dummy links' but my templates that are supposed to control rvt links still remember that fact when a new link is placed in the model (the settings are not remembered either though).

Yeah that's kind of a pain in the butt; tell (s)he to come up with a better system then "create a bunch of view templates." ...do you guys have `dummy links' too (there would be absolutely no reason for you to as far as I can tell if you do)?

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 07:25:31 am »
No dummy links in our template.

Not having the view templates reside in the project template is not that big of a deal. (I'd rather have them there for convenience, though.) Transferring them is not a big deal because they "should" be the same from project to project. (I can't help but chuckle in disbelief when I say that.)

We are using multiple models per project (MEP). I recently set up a project that is made up of three sub-projects. That's nine models with multiple view templates that have the same RVT Link VG settings. Not only does it take up quite a bit of time for set-up but that's a lot of room for error. There has got to be a better way.
CAD Tech

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 08:00:28 am »
Preexisting views in a template is best

Can you explain how this works for you?
CAD Tech