Author Topic: Recap & Recap 360  (Read 1486 times)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Recap & Recap 360
« on: May 21, 2015, 08:27:24 am »
Anyone using Recap360? Next to Infraworks 360, Recap 360 is my new favorite tool.  :)

This is a little test I did. I took a series of photos using my iPhone 6 and uploaded them to the Recap 360 cloud service and it created a 3D model that I can download as an RCS file (point cloud), clean up using Recap and bring into AutoCAD or Revit to create a 3D model of existing conditions.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Building Performance Analysis Certified (BPAC v3.0)
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

Krushert

• Seagull
  • "GRAMR? I need no stinkin' gramr!"
Re: Recap & Recap 360
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:27:44 am »
Cool!  been wondering how it works and wanting to give it a test.

How does it stack up to accuracy?
You are responsible for your own experiences, ... so why are you asking me how  cold the water is?

=   =   =  ACA 2015, Revit Arch 2015 & 16 Navisworks Manage 2015 & 16 on 64bit on Win7P  =   =   =   =

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:36:49 am »
Cool!  been wondering how it works and wanting to give it a test.

How does it stack up to accuracy?
It depends on... well.... LOTS of factors. Lighting and variations in texture are probably the biggest contributors to getting a good result. Notice how it's overcast? That helps eliminate a lot of the over/under exposure and unwanted shadows. Also, there's a good amount of contrast in textures, shapes, etc. that make it easier for Recap to stitch the photos together. I did an interior test in our multipurpose room at work about a month ago and because all of the walls are the same color, and the tables are the basically the same color as the walls, and there isn't a lot in the room to begin with, I ended up with less than desirable results. I could've added something like different colored pieces of paper on the walls to help it stitch the photos better.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:46:46 am »
This view of the house gives you a better idea of how accurate the photo stitching is.
Autodesk Expert Elite

Krushert

• Seagull
  • "GRAMR? I need no stinkin' gramr!"
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 10:58:15 am »
Cool.  We took a bunch of photos for a roof replacement project(s) and I thought those would be a good test. 

I have some training time coming that I was going to use it to clean my cube but I think I will use it on this.  Sound more productive.  :crazy2:
You are responsible for your own experiences, ... so why are you asking me how  cold the water is?

=   =   =  ACA 2015, Revit Arch 2015 & 16 Navisworks Manage 2015 & 16 on 64bit on Win7P  =   =   =   =