Author Topic: Block storage  (Read 2250 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Block storage
« on: February 09, 2015, 07:30:41 AM »
Which is the best practice for block storage now days? Separate files or all stored in a single file?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Block storage
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:33:17 AM »
Yes.
CAD Tech

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 08:04:52 AM »
Both have their up-and-down sides.

Seperate files is still easier to maintain via scripting but single files are nicer to pack up and put on the network.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 08:10:55 AM »
I like to keep the routine block files within a template (set to QNEW) with un-common blocks as separate files.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 08:16:43 AM »
I like to keep the routine block files within a template (set to QNEW) with un-common blocks as separate files.
That is exactly what i used to do. But now I have many more blocks to deal with.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 08:23:45 AM »
We tend to use a container drawing these days... some of our older/legacy blocks are still in individual files though
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:29:56 AM »
My preference would always be individual files - one can easily create new blocks with WBLOCK that way.

dJE
===
dJE

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 08:46:58 AM »
That is exactly what i used to do. But now I have many more blocks to deal with.

How many blocks are you talking about? You could look into a 3rd party program to organize and aid in searching block files as well.

CMT Detail Manager comes to mind
https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3adetailmanager_windows32and64%3aen

Also, if you keep a consistent naming structure and add the block library folder to your support path, simply inserting through insert dialog will bring blocks in.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 08:53:58 AM »
Also, if you keep a consistent naming structure and add the block library folder to your support path, simply inserting through insert dialog will bring blocks in.
Thats a really good idea! There is no naming structure at the moment, we're working on that as well.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 11:50:16 AM »
We have a large number of blocks, and a number of clients who may or may not have their own "spin" on some of those blocks.  So I keep them as individual files, using a combination of code and SFSP search order to keep management simple.  If the client needs something different, I only need to create a new block with the same name and drop it in the client folder.  If I need to update a common block I don't need to update umpteen dozen copies.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

NOT SURE

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 01:55:26 PM »
I use a naming structure (i.e. 2d, 3d, Plan, Elev(ation), Iso(metric), Elec(trical), Mech(anical), and so on) and some code to go along with them. All blocks are stored as individual files in one folder that is included in the search path. Some are inserted through dialog boxes with some lisp for different things, and some are just static references that really only need just graphic representation on a standard layer. Since a lot of what I do isn't your normal cookie cutter variety of things, I find myself creating quite a few new blocks from old ones that I just pull in from Windows Explorer. Like today I needed to create a 3d and 2d version of a USDA Anchor Cage, which will more than likely only get used for this job, but I block them out anyway just in case. The consistent blocks get some lisp attention and a place in the menu.

Also, I don't use spaces in the naming conventions.  ;-)

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 02:27:07 PM »
We use a separate Profile for internal/client standards with SFSP, which allow us to manually insert individual blocks from respective directories, or use the Tool Palette for each (i.e., Drainage, Trees, Signing & Pavement Markings, etc.)... A small contingent of a command reactor, and tool palette configuration allows the insertion to be placed on the correct layer automagically (regardless of which method of insertion is used).

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."