Author Topic: "AutoCAD Classic Workspace with AutoCAD 2015"  (Read 7532 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
Re: "AutoCAD Classic Workspace with AutoCAD 2015"
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:57:09 PM »
Having to jump through hoops just to use the streamlined, less intrusive, workspace-optimized interface.  It's like software developers think real estate should be for the UI rather than the actual work space.  It's not isolated to Autodesk, for sure.  I just wish they would respect the ability of software to be commandline/keyboard driven, more.  I feel like it's an idea that's being phased out of most modern software design in general.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:15:07 PM »
Well it's about marketing, see.
If the thing doesn't 'look' new then they can't sell it as 'new'.
Even if and or when all that is really new is the look of the thing
(not just the penalty for NOT subscribing)
and NOT the functioning of the thing.

:devilsidesmile:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 01:37:03 PM »
They are simply following another large software makers UI. It makes sense! I don't agree with it but I can see their point.

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »
Classic has been dead for some time, just get over it and learn to embrace the ribbon panel. Love the ribbon panel, feel the ribbon panel.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 02:02:04 PM »
Classic has been dead for some time, just get over it and learn to embrace the ribbon panel. Love the ribbon panel, feel the ribbon panel.
LOL

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
Another to get you close:
RIBBONCLOSE
(setvar 'menubar 1)

Then just arrange to toolbars you want.

I use a combination of drop down menus and ribbon :)  .. but mostly a CLJ.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:22:46 PM by ronjonp »

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 03:00:58 PM »
Oh I don't mind the ribbon (I mean, we've had, what, 8 years or so to get used to it?) or the very pretty GUI updates.  I recently installed a demo for a model viewer that had GUI graphics reminiscent of an older Macintosh, with color.  My initial thought was "Jeez, if they can't be #*%ed to use OOTB GUI dialogs and made fugly simple stuff like this, what can I expect their dedication to core-capabilities is?" and then I kind of had an introspective moment about judging a book by its cover...

...anyways, my point was less about the introduction of new stuff, which I do accept the value of, and more about the growing INABILITY to easily transition to the traditional.  In the case of Autocad, those reliant upon the keyboard for the 99% of commands would surely find that the ribbon is a needless waste of valuable screen real-estate.  I went as far eliminating all but one row of toolbars iirc, and no menus, iirc.  Palettes collapsed nicely and had the remaining functions.

Anyways.. yea, the crux, for me, was the deliberate EXclusion of 'traditional' UI rather than the introduction of new, which isn't really all that new anymore.

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 03:59:06 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily say

In the case of Autocad, those reliant upon the keyboard for the 99% of commands would surely find that the ribbon is a needless waste of valuable screen real-estate

The contextual aspects of the ribbon panel make it incredibly attractive to beginner and advanced users. Click an array and get all the possible settings for that array, want to edit text? ribbon panels prompts the available options. Screen space is cheap, buy a new monitor.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 04:16:37 PM »
Consider how many devices are touch driven and don't have a keyboard, or a convenient keyboard.  How many users are working with a thousand-button-combination gaming mouse or SpacenavigatorWhatever.  Keyboards as an input device are on the decline.

Wonder how it will take for spelling to degrade to the point where we're all communicating with high-tech smiley-pictographs.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 04:23:44 PM »
Yes, I'm sure there are users who claim advanced level skills who like the ribbon.  That's all well and good and I don't necessarily disagree with any legitimacy of the claim nor do I care.  I just dislike the increasing disregard to the traditional.  I don't know how much clearer I can put that.  I don't mean to poo-poo anyone else's preference because I really don't care how anyone else does it, to be frank. 

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 04:29:02 PM »
I use a mix of the Ribbon and some toolbars. That aside, I don't understand the logic in removing a valuable feature, then turning around and more or less embracing it by producing a KB article telling the user how to restore the feature they just removed.

I'll all for forward progress, but how much does it really cost Autodesk to leave that feature alone?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:32:21 PM by rkmcswain »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 04:30:04 PM »

Wonder how it will take for spelling to degrade to the point where we're all communicating with high-tech smiley-pictographs.
From the above, you are already racing towards that horizon.   :wink:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 04:30:49 PM »
I use a mix of the Ribbon and some toolbars. That aside, I don't understand the logic in removing a valuable feature, then turning around and more or less embracing it by producing a KB article telling the user how to restore the feature they just removed.

I'll all for forward progress, but how much does it really cost Autodesk to leave that feature alone?

It would be free to 'leave it alone'
It costs them to remove , or obfuscate it.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell