Author Topic: Brainstorm Session  (Read 2437 times)

daron

Brainstorm Session
« on: April 21, 2005, 08:25:37 AM »
I have an idea and just want to get some ideas from you guys.

I'd like some ideas programatically, that would lock layer(s) in certain viewports and not be locked in other viewports. Kind of like freeze in viewports, but for lock. How would you approach this?

Before anyone starts with pseudo-code, I'll throw out a start:
User selects object on layer
Layer is locked in current viewport only.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Brainstorm Session
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 08:30:31 AM »
I haven't had my first cofee yet, but I don't think you can lock layers on a viewport by viewport basis.

Did I miss a memo?
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

daron

Brainstorm Session
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 08:36:19 AM »
No, I wasn't sure it could be done either, but it would sure be fun to try. Plus, I could sure use this capability and I'm hoping others could benefit from it too. P.S. This doesn't have to be done in lisp if it is possible to be accomplished in another language.

hendie

Brainstorm Session
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 08:52:08 AM »
Daron, we might be able to get a bit further with the brainstorming if you can give us an insight into how this "feature" would be used ?

I can't think why you would lock a layer in one viewport and not in another ~ I keep coming back to freezing and/or controlling visibility

perhaps an example ?

daron

Brainstorm Session
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 09:14:23 AM »
Example. I often need to erase and rebuild wall panel block in a viewport. There are lines on a walls layer that I need to avoid. I locked the wall layer and erased said blocks. It got me thinking that it would be nice to have this layer locked in this viewport and not have to worry about it ever, but be able to edit them in other viewports or modelspace when needed and not have to manually unlock the layer. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm just being lazy, but isn't laziness the mother of invention?

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Brainstorm Session
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 09:48:46 AM »
Well how about a list of locked layers in x-date attached to the viewport?
You would need a reactor to fire when you activate or deactivate a viewport.
This reactor would read the x-data from the view port and lock the layers if you
are activating or unlock if you are deactivating the viewport. You would need a lisp
to run manually to select layers to add or unselect the layers to remove from the x-data list.
Oh, the reactor must fire if you leave or activate the tab & the viewport is active to insure the
x-data layers are in the correct state.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.