Author Topic: The ONE most important standard  (Read 31801 times)

CADaver

The ONE most important standard
« on: April 18, 2005, 03:42:18 PM »
Just throwing this out to get the juices flowing.

What is that ONE, THE ONE most important standard.  Now I'm talking about a standard like you'd print in a user manual for new hires.  And flesh it out like'd you'd do in that manual.

Cime on, what is it?

M-dub

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 03:47:13 PM »
Number One:  Follow All Standards!

I dunno...Here, snap is pretty important, but more importantly, you have to make sure that the drawing isn't signed out to someone else before making changes.
I'm sure I could come up with THE standard if I watch our other CAD guy for a while...:roll:

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 03:47:33 PM »
(1) Adherence to company standards is a condition of employment; repeated failure to comply with said standards will be considered a failure to meet those terms and conditions, and justifiable means for termination.

:twisted:
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 03:51:02 PM »
If i'm understanding your question correctly, i'd go with layers.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

CADaver

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 03:57:43 PM »
Quote from: Mark Thomas
If i'm understanding your question correctly, i'd go with layers.
Flesh it out remember.  Layers what? I got layers, layer 1, 2, 3, 4, Betty, Jughead and Booty-tunes.

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 03:58:36 PM »
Quote from: MP
(1) Adherence to company standards is a condition of employment; repeated failure to comply with said standards will be considered a failure to meet those terms and conditions, and justifiable means for termination.

:twisted:
That one I like.  In fact we have one worded very close to that.

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 04:15:12 PM »
i encourage others to use the custom commands that i provide in autocad to ensure that whatever they are creating it would go on the right layers and keeps the drawing enviroment standard.

Birdy

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 04:20:38 PM »
Quote from: Mark Thomas
... Booty-tunes.

Now there's one I gotta add to OUR standards  :shock:

Birdy

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 04:21:45 PM »
whoops sorry Mark.
credit> CADaver

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 04:27:34 PM »
(2) Our CADD Standards Manual is a living document that each of us is responsible for making sure is as up to date as practical. To witt, any standard which, in your opinion fails to ensure our CADD deliverables fully meet the requirements of our clients*, or has become antiquated by changes or improvements to AutoCAD shall be immediately brought to the attention of CADD Management so the document may be ammended appropriately.

* Client may be in-house or third party.
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 04:58:01 PM »
(3) If the procedure(s) associated with a standard can be automated such that adherence to the standard is assured or made more seemless please contact CADD Management so that said automation may be investigated.

Birdy

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 05:26:11 PM »
Our CAD standards are pretty well there (for now, but that may change dramatically).  We have 5 users and we work well on things like layering and layout standards.  All the primary stuff is set up in a template so it's quite a no-brainer.  For CAD, it'd be "USE THE TEMPLATE".

The real tough one is CONSTRUCTION standards.  Being a very custom millwork shop, we'll do what ever is requested, or required to give the customer what they want.  We do have published construction standards.... but they are really only a starting point.  Every job we do departs from them sooner or later.

The other toughie (working on this one) is the PROCESS.  I tell guys that when they get a set of archie drawing to spend a few hours studying them and planning their strategy first, before they even boot autocad.  This has definately saved me huge amounts of time when a deadline is looming.  Kinda like: study the map and plan a route, instead of just jumping in the wally wagon and taking off... getting lost... and missing a deadline.

Most of the guys here are very good at compliance with cad standards.  But occasionally I need to SMACK 'em when they do something stupid like override a dimension, or explode a hatch.  Didn't used (?) to be that way.  Over time they've seen the benefit of WHY things are done the way they are.  They appreciate how much easier things are from the previous "management".  (Got a long way to go though!)

We're trying to find a method to get us to 3D that will work well for us.  Evaluating several 3rd party apps, but some of them are lacking what we need.

TR

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 06:28:23 PM »
Uhh...we have standard titleblocks and revision triangles. That's about as far as our CAD Standards go anymore.  :(

CADaver

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 11:17:57 PM »
Quote from: dubb
i encourage others to use the custom commands that i provide in autocad to ensure that whatever they are creating it would go on the right layers and keeps the drawing enviroment standard.
Good one, and one we have to stess for every new hire.

CADaver

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 11:18:51 PM »
Quote from: Birdy
Quote from: CADaver
... Booty-tunes.

Now there's one I gotta add to OUR standards  :shock:
Remeber the hip plugs  :wink: