Author Topic: Page Setup Alignment Question  (Read 11548 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Page Setup Alignment Question
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »
Here is a situation that I'm trying to remedy, or at least have a rational reason as to why it is
happening, even IF there is no solution.

When changing the Page Setup, some of the layout tabs exhibit the behavior shown in the image.
The area that in theory is showing the Paper size and inked area limits, loses proper alignment
with the coordinate system of paper space.

Sometimes, switching the page setup, between several will get it to reset sometiimes nothing seems to get the
paper outline and the paperspace coordinates to synchronize.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I can always just delete the tab and start fresh; however it would be nice to know what is really happening.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

RC

Re: Page Setup Alignment Question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:48:40 PM »
The plot area is defined by your page setup, modify the page setup to plot a window, then select a window around your drawing.

or

modify the page setup to plot EXTENTS

or

move your drawing to the location of the plot, lower-left corner of drawing to 0,0 in PS

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
The plot area is defined by your page setup, modify the page setup to plot a window, then select a window around your drawing.

or

modify the page setup to plot EXTENTS

or

move your drawing to the location of the plot, lower-left corner of drawing to 0,0 in PS

Thanks Randy, but that isn't the issue.
To be clear...the black paper that you see in the image is where autocad is placing the paper outline...
the other graphics in that image are actually @ 0,0 and the proper sze for the sheet.
For some crazy reason SOMETIMES when changing and or applying new page setups that sheet definition gets thrown out of alignment to paperspace, and or sheet boundaries, and or even plot offset settings.

And plotting to extents defeats the purpose of for using page setups. Reliable and consistent plotting.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

RC

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 06:27:53 PM »
the page setup defines the paper location.  Modify the page setup, if you don't wish to use extents (which does nothing to defeat using pagesetups) then use 'window' and select the corners of the area you desire to plot.  What are you using now to define plot limits in your page setups??

Personally I turn off the 'show papersize/background display', it does little for me.  I define the page setups and assign them to the layout in my template(s) so they are already prepared when I start the drawing.  I define a window for plotting in that page setup that matches the corners of my border 'cutlines' and save it under a name defined for the plotter(s) I'm going to use on that project.  I don't need to 'see' the white background to know what I'm going to plot / publish.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:59:10 AM »
I may be stating the obvious but to verify that the paper has lost the correct origin, assign it to window plot and draw the window using coordinate entry.

If you get the same result, then the title block has moved.

Alternatively, verify that the title block is at (0,0).

Which is it?
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 08:40:43 AM »
yes title block is @ 0,0, and the insertion point is correct....

For Randy, the issue is Autocad 'thinks' the paperspace IS where the black, or white paper outline is at....NOT where my title block is at.
So while you may not need to see the paper boundary....autocad does need to 'imagine' that it is the correct place.

As, stated I have a solution, it isn't optimal, I am seeking the cause to perhaps A)prevent it, or B)affect a better cure.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »
  What are you using now to define plot limits in your page setups??

The Paper size and Inked are limits, which is then translated by autocad into the "LAYOUT"

And in theory, and when it isn't doing this other crazy thing works without need to define a limit, or chance use of extents
and the risk that some user has copied or drawn stuff outside the sheet borders.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:43:40 AM »
I have never seen this happen without OIE.

Is this a named plot style?

If not, make one that is correct so you can import and apply when this happens.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:47:23 AM »
I have never seen this happen without OIE.

Is this a named plot style?

If not, make one that is correct so you can import and apply when this happens.
The plot stlye doesn't appear to be the root cause.

However what is OIE?  (Operator Input Error?)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:51:41 AM »
What makes you say that it is not the plot style? Can you fix it by altering the plat style? Have you tried importing one that is correct?

Operator Induced Error.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 08:55:28 AM »
What makes you say that it is not the plot style? Can you fix it by altering the plat style? Have you tried importing one that is correct?

Operator Induced Error.
Never seen plot style impact page setup origin or offsets.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Rob...

• King Gator
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 08:57:02 AM »
I'm sorry I meant page set-up. I didn't sleep well last night.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 09:00:30 AM »
Yes swapping out other page setups corrects....

The issue here is that I am trying to resolve, some title blocks that have mutated more than evolved.

Bad sizes, don't fit inked are limits, odd page offsets, need to use window, center on page.....and just
about everything imaginable to get a good reliable plot output here.

So I'm trying to fix, adjust and reslove all of that.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

RC

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 10:02:53 AM »
yes title block is @ 0,0, and the insertion point is correct....

For Randy, the issue is Autocad 'thinks' the paperspace IS where the black, or white paper outline is at....NOT where my title block is at.
So while you may not need to see the paper boundary....autocad does need to 'imagine' that it is the correct place.

As, stated I have a solution, it isn't optimal, I am seeking the cause to perhaps A)prevent it, or B)affect a better cure.
Then your defined pagesetup has the 'window' of the plot somewhere away from 0,0 .... or .... the limits* defined in PAPERSPACE are not defined at 0,0

I've been using defined page setups since their inception and have never seen the issue where it was not a problem with the definition of the page setup.  The source of that delinquent page setup maybe your template.

*LIMITS won't reset with the display of paper background active, uncheck it in OPTIONS and type LIMITS while in PS, if they aren't 0,0 reset them there.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:06:51 AM by Randy Culp (CADaver) »

RC

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 10:04:22 AM »

Operator Induced Error.
Never seen plot style impact page setup origin or offsets.
plot styles won't but page setups certainly can