Author Topic: Does anyone have access to arcgis that would convert a SHP file to KMZ for me?  (Read 16662 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
FWIW -

In Civil 3D 2015 I use the new EXPORTKML Command - See Toolspace, Toolbox, Miscellaneous Utilities, Export KML, right click the nested Export KML, select Execute... menu item - to export projects to .KMZ, etc. for our clients.

I also use QGIS & ArcGIS trial installed on VM :wink:; the latter to extract data from .GDB which I've not (yet) found a way to do from QGIS.

Cheers

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/22201/how-to-access-file-geodatabase-in-qgis

Thank you, Michael.

That's why I said 'yet'... I actually have that link saved as bookmark, but when I needed to access .GDB for a strict deadline, I ended up just installing ArcGIS trial. Maybe I'll make time for that QGIS procedure after my trial stops working. :angel:

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:48:02 PM by BlackBox »
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
All the more reason to upgrade to 2015.
I am curious, when you bring in a SHP file using mapwspace, you are able to isolate specific data with a polygon, but is it then possible to export that data out to a new shp file?
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

BlackBox

• King Gator
I am curious, when you bring in a SHP file using mapwspace, you are able to isolate specific data with a polygon, but is it then possible to export that data out to a new shp file?

I tend to bring in .SHP using MAPIMPORT instead, and only opt for MAPWSPACE if I'm going to modify imported contour (imported as closed polygons with OD), or extract drainage basin data, etc.

I could be mistaken, as I do not often export to .SHP, but I suspect one can export to .SHP so long as the entities selected are valid types supported by .SHP (if that makes sense).

Cheers

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson

Actually still no compelling reason to upgrade to 2015 (still no use of Google Earth data)

And you find better results NOT using MAPWSAPCE>>Data Connect to wok with your SHP files.
Rather use MAPIMPORT - be sure to use Import Closed  Shapes as Polygons function or you get hatched areas instead of boundaries
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
... still no use of Google Earth data

I thought the new Google Earth API exposed that ability (not natively, albeit), no?

mjfarrell

• Seagull

I thought the new Google Earth API exposed that ability (not natively, albeit), no?

sure, but that isn't the same as native support, because Autodesk wants to be pigheaded about paying a license fee to Google.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator

sure, but that isn't the same as native support, because Autodesk wants to be pigheaded about paying a license fee to Google.

I noted that already, and do not disagree with your assessment... One can make use of Google Earth data though, is the point. :angel:

Cheers

[Edit] - You've probably seen this already, as example.

mjfarrell

• Seagull

I noted that already, and do not disagree with your assessment... One can make use of Google Earth data though, is the point. :angel:

Cheers

I still stand by my assessment that there is no compelling reason to use 2015 release.  Not really enough NEW and or IMPROVED to justify installation.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator

Cheers

I still stand by my assessment that there is no compelling reason to use 2015 release.  Not really enough NEW and or IMPROVED to justify installation.

:-D