Author Topic: XREF clipping frame location/elevation  (Read 2256 times)

RC

XREF clipping frame location/elevation
« on: September 17, 2014, 08:45:48 AM »
When XCLIP'ping a 3D model the clipping frame plane reside at elevation 0 and is read as an entity when zooming 'extents' even if the frame is not displayed.

Has anyone figured out a way to make that clipping frame reside at some other elevation in order to keep the 'extents' tight to the displayed objects????

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: XREF clipping frame location/elevation
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 08:55:24 AM »
Perhaps a DVIEW clip and set the front and back clipping planes would be in order?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

RC

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »
DVIEW clipping only works in the current view direction, and we utilize that heavily during drawing creation.

My goal is to view only a portion of a rather large 3D model XREF from any direction without the clipping frame altering the extents for zoom extents.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:29:24 AM »
this would suggest using saved views rather than zooming to extents....

bonus those saved views can later be used by Sheet Set manger to place views on layouts...as well as control the scale of the views
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

RC

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »
Saved views might work if I didn't have to 'orbit' around the XREF constructing new objects.

RC

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 12:51:18 PM »
I can work around the XREF clipping frame being at election 0 by moving the xref down from my working elevation to elevation 0 prior to clipping, and then moving it back to the proper elevation.  That is a royal pain in the arse and opens the design up to errors if the XREF gets improperly located somewhere along the way.

It seems logical to me that the clipping frame would reside on the 0 plane of the current UCS but that doesn't work either.  Nor can you adjust the location of the frame after placement, which appears to be another oversight.

This wasn't an issue until they added the ability to adjust the clipping frame after placement.  Seems they need to think about it a bit more.

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 04:16:39 PM »
Randy xclip frames have an elevation in net
http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2010/11/adding-a-2d-spatial-filter-to-perform-a-simple-xclip-on-an-external-reference-in-autocad-using-net.html

SpatialFilterDefinition sfd =
                  new SpatialFilterDefinition(pts, Vector3d.ZAxis, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, true); where the 1st 0.0 is the elev.
maybe you can access the extension dictionary w/ lisp

RC

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 09:58:49 AM »
Thanks Bryco

I was afraid it might require a .net solution  :cry: