Author Topic: Revision  (Read 15614 times)

Drafter X

• Swamp Rat
Re: Revision
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »
My drawings are the final fabrication drawings for the millwork shops, so any revisions have to be complete through the set, only in very rare cases do I not carry the changes through the entire set.  If not done, it is too likely it will not be built right.

If they are changes, they have to be paid for, I don't care if the original documents I was given are 5% or the twelfth revision after issue, once you hand off construction documents to me, any change is a change from my original information.  I very rarely get any issues over this, but I don't tend to do repeat work for those who think it should be free because it was issue for bid and not for construction. 

CadJockey Militia Commander

tedg

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
A change at 75% issue is technically NOT a revision; as at the time of issue the plans are incomplete.

A change after FINAL 100% plans are issued is a revision.
Agreed.
Drawings *should* only be "revised" (with rev clouds and an entry on the status block) after the first set of stamped drawings go out (be it Issued for Bid or Construction or whatever your contract says).

However.. sometimes we have clients (or PMs) that want to treat a revised 60% set like an IFB set, and sometimes we lose that battle. And so it becomes an a "Revised 60% Design Submittal" with clouds etc.. wicked stupid.

Thankfully that doesn't happen often, and when it does we wipe the slate clean when it becomes a stampable set.
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, AutoCAD 2023, REVIT 2023

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 07:39:13 AM »
If a client calls in and wants to make a change at say 40% drawings. How do you differentiate internally between the drawing changed and the original?

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »
If necessary, eg suspecting that the change will revert back later on, I would copy the original to a temp archive before making the changes - or rename it with the date that the change request came in.    Working folders only have current versions, and use the 'real' file names so Xref and SheetSets are not affected by superseded versions.

that's presuming of course that it's in the design phase (40 percent as mentioned), and has not yet gone out to bid or permitting.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 09:15:49 AM »
If a client calls in and wants to make a change at say 40% drawings. How do you differentiate internally between the drawing changed and the original?

This is where using Design Review can really help - as the Mark Up for that change can be saved, annotated and archived to track this type of change that may happen before any bid, or construction sets have been issued.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »
The drawing compare in Design Review can be useful in this respect, without having the redlines.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}