Author Topic: Standard parts naming convention??  (Read 5789 times)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Standard parts naming convention??
« on: June 03, 2014, 10:11:23 AM »
Is there a standard when it comes to calling out parts/fittings?  I've recently seen something like this...
  • Tee, Copper, 1.5x1.5x1.5
  • Tee, 1 ½
  • Copper Tee, PxPxP, 1 ½
  • 1 ½ Tee
Each note is pointing to the same type of tee (same material, size, etc..) in a drawing.  If there isn't a standard for this, is there a "preferred" way of calling out a fitting type, material, size, etc...?
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Re: Standard parts naming convention??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »
It should be consistent I will give you that.  Question, are you (your firm) buying these parts?  If so you really want to get this fixed because of savings by quantity.  Long story but I am willing to tell if you really want to know.

If the description is going to be hand entered, then it should be short and sweet so that you have some consistency from user to user.  If done automagically (keynoting etc. ) then you name it as long as you want.

I vote for the  second dot.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:10:07 PM by Krushert »
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:08:52 PM »
If these are blocks, I saw someone use a hidden attribute for the text.  They had a custom lisp for labeling which the user would run, select the block (which would get the text from the attribute), then drop the text and allow a leader to be added.  It was pretty slick and the user didn't have to type the text, and it was all standard.

I use some dynamic blocks with text that can stretch and rotate.  Nice thing is, if I delete the block the text is gone also.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Bashworth

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 06:38:49 PM »
The second option is what I've used.
If all Ts are going to be copper, just specify that on the notes page.  If you're using various materials, keynote.
If something changes, it's much faster to change a keynote description, than it is to redo every callout.

Bethrine

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:48:28 PM »
On our mechanical drawings, we have a column designated "material" for just such things. I vote for the second one as well...even though the fourth one is common here.

Side note: I wish they had a change case button here.  :ugly: