Author Topic: What happens if there are more than one boundaries?  (Read 5812 times)

ekoneo

• Newt
What happens if there are more than one boundaries?
« on: June 24, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »
What happens if there are more than one boundaries in definition of a corridor design?

I know that boundary limitation prevents my job from unwanted triangles. And Civil 3D allows multiple boundaries definitions.
I wonder a surface's behaviour in mutiple boundaries.

This is important for my work. Becouse I create a corridor with Marked Points by giving different name and codes.
Also these market point are located at on conditional cut or fill subassemblies. That means some marked points are requred at some stations depending on different situations, not requared at whole stations. I atached my figures.

I want to cut my orange surface at C1 points on some stations, at C2 points when it is requared. That surface should be cut at C2 point when C1 point is not exist. If both of C1 and C2 are exist the surface should be cut at C1 point.
What happen If I try to define both of C1 and C2 codded featurelines as the surface's boundaries. Are there any way to do that?  :|
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:25:54 PM by ekoneo »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: What happens if there are more than one boundaries?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 12:32:06 PM »
you have several options....

be sure to assign proper codes both Point and or Link codes to your Generic Links in your assemblies....

Use the method I showed previous with Helper assembly first

Use Polygon for boundary

Create Boundary 'interactively'
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

ekoneo

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:56:29 PM »
Thank you again Michael Farrell.
Your previous helper corridor solition is the exact solution for me. It is perfect.
But I have a problem.
I m working very complex intersections  :cry:

I prepare my corridor by using many portion. In all parts includes their own vertical and horizontal targets. There are many complicated parts starting various start point stations etc. So I try to avoid to use helper corridor exact, perfect solution (if it is possible  ^-^) to avoid horrible target deffinitions. I shared my simple example here. If I ll be successful, I apply to my horrible work. I could not find a solution, I apply helper corridor solution.

ekoneo

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »
I wonder this:
When I use corridor extends as outer boundary, P1 feature line and P2 feature line at the same time, what happens? Which boundary is applied?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »
you would need to see another of my classes where we break these complicated intersections down to simple solutions.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ekoneo

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 01:26:36 AM »
I made an examination with a combination of three boundaries.
Although there are 3 boundaries, my corridor surface extended to the last boundary.

Is there any way to define coditions depending on elevation of any subbassembly of an assembly?
I need something like programming script.
If elevation of subassembly smaller than (or higher than) elevation of a markerpoint that is codded as ....
Conditional cut or fill subassemblies like this as you say but they test only are they under a target surface or not. They can not provide me any numarical logical statements. May there is a way to do this by codding a .dll file with C# or VB in .NET.. I should reasearch more and more :)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 06:38:08 AM »
actually IF you added unique link and point codes
you could have a conditional assembly compare againts unique surfaces made from them....tedious

anyway - I think you have made your assembly too complicated, while I admire your drive
the point of the helper assembly is too allow a less complicated assembly do the job for final design
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ekoneo

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 11:59:12 AM »
:) :) :)

You are right.. it became so boring. At the end I did it but my assembly became more complex. I put different codded marker points. Also I used invisible (omitted) links to put unique.. I did it but when I apply this complex subbassemblies to each different corridor types I really bored :)

So I decided to use your helper corridor method.
But I wonder that a helper corridor method's operation when existing ground passing through corridor.

Becouse sidewalk with is not constant.. When the sidewalk width change, elevation difference between sidewalk surface and bottom of subbase changes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 12:02:41 PM by ekoneo »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »
not to worry that generic link can follow target alignment to follow changing side walk width

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ekoneo

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 04:29:20 AM »
Sorry mjfarrell.. I prepare a helper corridor. But I couldnt get the surface as shown my previous photo :(
The biggest problem is existing ground passing in my corridor..

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 06:54:37 AM »
did the generic link that represents your sidewalk width follow the outer sidewalk width alignment?
If this sidewalk is to have slope you may want to insert actual sidewalk subassembly so that it projects the desired cross slope without need for a profile
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 08:23:54 AM »
Also the generic links (helper) assembly I made, is able to handle exactly the situations you outlined in all of your sketches.
And the resultant surfaces to use as target do provide the solution you were after.

For those special cases you are showing you may want to run a second helper corridor or add conditional assemblies within the final design assembly.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:32:20 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell