Author Topic: Anyone Using Civil 3D 2015?  (Read 25467 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Anyone Using Civil 3D 2015?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »
I did ONLY C3D to assuage my curiosity.  The install was problem free.
The fact that it hates my video card/driver will be a turn-off to many.
I think that if one had a graphics card more than 6 months old an upgrade to that part of your system will be required.

There are people blathering on about the "New Look and Feel", so I had to see
the Emperor's New Clothes. 

As I suspected sycophants running amok. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 09:19:40 AM »
I did ONLY C3D to assuage my curiosity.  The install was problem free.

No worries; Civil 3D was installed successfully here as well, but the supplementary material libraries, sub-assembly composer, etc. were the elements that produced the errors here... Which is ironic, since I used Download Manager to both download, and launch the installation.

The fact that it hates my video card/driver will be a turn-off to many.

You know, I didn't recognize it at first... Now that you mention it, the fact that Civil 3D 2015 hates your video card/driver IS a major turn-off, actually.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »
I installed C3D2015 and all of it's accessories without error. It recognized my 3+ year old nVidia card and set H.A. on. Other than the C3D dialogs not having the Dark theme yet (nor does Sincpac, yet, it is a LOT of work to go back and setup all of the dialogs to work with the themes), I LIKE it and am considering finally moving off of C3D2012.

On my other laptop, I installed IDSU, again without error. It is only a year old, and it's nVidia card was also recognized straight away.

I have seen another user on the Adesk forums saying they've had numerous crashes using C3D2015. I have not tested for the Figures crash he reported, but I have had ZERO crashes in the 2+ weeks I've had 2015 installed. Maybe this will change when I start to use it more, but thus far, for me, this has been the best initial release I've seen.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 12:13:25 PM »
and this is either stupid or just annoying...the start up screen says I can adjust video settings
yet it doesn't actually allow one to turn the HA on.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
OK, nearly had to bludgeon the thing

it continued to reset to using the LAME Intel graphics card, NOT the GOOD Nvidia card.

But it is using H.A now.

Still dislike the lack of being able to adjust adaptive degradation in same way as 2014 and previous.

It would seem Autodesk doesn't think we should be allowed to adjust our settings any longer.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 01:53:07 PM »

Still dislike the lack of being able to adjust adaptive degradation in same way as 2014 and previous.

It would seem Autodesk doesn't think we should be allowed to adjust our settings any longer.
From 2015's help file:
Some advanced graphic performance settings are only accessible if you enter -GRAPHICSCONFIG on the command line.
At the command line there are a number of thins available, including adaptive degradation.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
thanks for that...but the real question  WHY remove them from where they have been for probably 10 years?

REALLY!

Plus it takes it from an easy to use dialogue box into the land of the obscure key-in.

Backwards development

Considering the Graphics Config button is now on the same level as OSNAP settings?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:01:33 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 02:10:28 PM »
[Scientific Wild Ass Guess] There were too many users that had no clue what they were doing with the 3dconfig. Those users ended up as support calls that were 'fixed' by merely resetting the settings to OOTB. So they made it a little more difficult for the casual user, but still gave us power users access. [/s.w.a.g.]

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
that guess doesn't explain why the graphics properties settings is now exposed
OUTSIDE of going into options to set or reset it.

I would imagine this will cause more support calls than having it only available through options.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »
To answer original question does not look like anyone is actually "using it" and if by using you mean anything productive.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2014, 02:46:06 PM »
To answer original question does not look like anyone is actually "using it" and if by using you mean anything productive.

Actually I used it often.

However it isn't a 'production' enhancement.  It is more or less a system performance tuning option.
And it was probably more work to remove the original dialogue box and make it a command line only, and
replace it with anther dialogue box with fewer options.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »
[Scientific Wild Ass Guess] There were too many users that had no clue what they were doing with the 3dconfig. Those users ended up as support calls that were 'fixed' by merely resetting the settings to OOTB. So they made it a little more difficult for the casual user, but still gave us power users access. [/s.w.a.g.]
I like that guess. :)

That brings up another question though. Just how many support calls does Autodesk get in a given period of time?

Personally, I have never called them.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »
That should have said "support requests", not necessarily "support calls". I've never called for support, but I have logged lots of official support requests through Subscription Center, as well as many others posted to the Adesk foums that were picked up by Autodesk employees. When one gets assigned "SR # 13856422", that tells me there have been a few logged into the system. Granted, these are all lumped together (I think) for all of Autodesk's products, but still, their support department is not small.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »
Jeff, they just make those numbers up.  :evil:

Anyway I guess there is some good news about this abysmal 'new' version.

There is so very little that is new or different, the only learning will be around the stuff that doesn't work as it did in previous versions.

And a few new autocad geegaws.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
That brings up another question though. Just how many support calls does Autodesk get in a given period of time?

Personally, I have never called them.

What is phone number I would to make a call.