Author Topic: [help] Arxload *.crx and *.arx in AutoCAD 2015  (Read 13567 times)

chlh_jd

[help] Arxload *.crx and *.arx in AutoCAD 2015
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »
I have a vlx program , it can be sucessfully loaded in AutoCAD 2011 , but can not be load in AutoCAD 2015 ,
Prompt "Error: Parameter Type Error: stringp nil."  , and Vlide Prompt  "(Arxload nil)" .
However , In the Vlx file hadn't use (Arxload <String>) Such a statement ,  I check all (arxload <string> nil) are correct .
Dose some one catch this case ?
Thanks in advance for your help .

***After find the error where is , I changed the title name for Consult  about arxload *.crx and *.arx .
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:54:59 AM by chlh_jd »

chlh_jd

Re: [help] vlx unload in AutoCAD 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 12:03:05 AM »
The reason is (arxload (findfile "geomcal.arx"))-->(arxload nil)
In AutoCAD 2015 , geomcal.arx Extension has been changed into ".crx"

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 12:17:55 AM »
Ouch !!

That's a nasty trap.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 01:34:02 AM »
I wonder why ADesk did this? What would be the benefit in changing a file's extension? Is it due to some special new type of compiling? Even then what is wrong with keeping it as arx?

Anyway, I guess there's 2 ways to go about it:
  • Redo your vlx and have a check for both "geomcal.arx" and "geamcal.crx"
  • Copy the geomcal.crx into the same folder, then rename it to geamcal.arx, no need to update the vlx. NOT recommended from AutoDesk, please try your utmost to modify your code instead.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:35:34 AM by irneb »
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:13:05 AM »

I've sent an email to Kean but he is away till April 22.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

Kean

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 05:12:59 AM »
Please don't copy and rename: you should check for both extensions if you need to load them programmatically.

.crx is used to denote modules that can be loaded into AcCore - which you can access via the Core Console application in AutoCAD 2013 onwards - and over time I expect more modules to be built to work in this environment. Being able to run commands in a "headless" (GUI-free) AutoCAD is very valuable, so it's all being done with the best of intentions.

Here's some more info, in case: http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/2012/11/developing-a-crx-app.html

Kean

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 05:23:24 AM »

Thanks Kean,

Sorry to interrupt your birthday holiday  :evil:

Be well,

irneb

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 05:25:23 AM »
Thanks Kean for clearing that up. It always helps to know the reasons why.
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

Kean

• Newt
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 05:40:02 AM »
Thanks Kean for clearing that up. It always helps to know the reasons why.

My pleasure. :-)

Thanks Kean,

Sorry to interrupt your birthday holiday  :evil:

Be well,

No worries! I wouldn't have replied if I didn't have the time to do so. :-)

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 10:17:58 AM »
Now we know.  And knowing is half the battle (the other half is asking the right questions!).
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

chlh_jd

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 03:43:43 AM »
Thanks all partner  :-)

I wonder why ADesk did this? What would be the benefit in changing a file's extension? Is it due to some special new type of compiling? Even then what is wrong with keeping it as arx?

Anyway, I guess there's 2 ways to go about it:
  • Redo your vlx and have a check for both "geomcal.arx" and "geamcal.crx"
  • Copy the geomcal.crx into the same folder, then rename it to geamcal.arx, no need to update the vlx. NOT recommended from AutoDesk, please try your utmost to modify your code instead.

Thank you, Irneb . I do it like following :
Code - Auto/Visual Lisp: [Select]
  1. (if (and (not(member "GEOMCAL.ARX" (mapcar (function strcase) (arx))))
  2.          (not(member "GEOMCAL.CRX" (mapcar (function strcase) (arx)))))
  3.     (cond ((findfile "GEOMCAL.CRX") (arxload (findfile "GEOMCAL.CRX") nil))
  4.           ((findfile "GEOMCAL.ARX") (arxload (findfile "GEOMCAL.ARX") nil))))
Please don't copy and rename: you should check for both extensions if you need to load them programmatically.

.crx is used to denote modules that can be loaded into AcCore - which you can access via the Core Console application in AutoCAD 2013 onwards - and over time I expect more modules to be built to work in this environment. Being able to run commands in a "headless" (GUI-free) AutoCAD is very valuable, so it's all being done with the best of intentions.

Here's some more info, in case: http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/2012/11/developing-a-crx-app.html

Kean

Thanks Kean a lot !

Another question consult you , there are two VL files in the system folder , vl.crx and vl.arx , which one and when shoud be loaded into VLIDE ? Thank you .

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 05:06:05 AM »
I think we should ask LOUDLY for some definite documentation on these files.
At the moment there is little bits of information scattered across several blogs ... this information belongs in the help documentation and it needs to be correct and provided in a timely manner.

If someone has a guess, that guess gets copied 10 times and each of those gets reproduced 10 times and people MAY build on incorrect information. This is something that the people at AutoDesk don't seem to understand even though it happens quite often.

I don't have 2015 installed yet so I can't even have a good look.

From your code it seems that here is an ARX and a CRX available. I can't understand this because the CORE code is installed into all sessions if I understand correctly, so i'd guess that only the CRX is needed .. but that is a guess without complete data.

Kean, who should we be chasing to get this whole issue resolved completely in a timely manner ??

irneb

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 06:31:37 AM »
Regarding the VL.ARX/CRX I know they're not simply copies of each other. I've looked into their exported functions before to see if I could create some form of error-handler from DotNet into the LispFunction: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?154154-Error-Handling-in-LISP-Net&p=1257069&viewfull=1#post1257069

The same exported functions are not available in the CRX as they are in the ARX.

So there must be "some" variant to these. And yes, some good documentation for this would avoid lots of future problems.

owenwengerd

• Bull Frog
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 10:35:43 AM »
The .arx modules link to the AutoCAD editor host (e.g. acad.exe); the .crx modules link to the core console (accore.dll). The separation allows core-specific stuff to work in any core host, while still enabling *all* the stuff when running inside an AutoCAD host.

chlh_jd

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »
Thanks Kerry for your attention and reply .

Irneb , thank you giving this site to help .
Although I don't know how to write programe by DotNet , but I still try to use eXeScope 17.2 to see their output functions ,  not sucessful .

The .arx modules link to the AutoCAD editor host (e.g. acad.exe); the .crx modules link to the core console (accore.dll). The separation allows core-specific stuff to work in any core host, while still enabling *all* the stuff when running inside an AutoCAD host.

Thanks Owen a lot . I seem to have a better understand of the two types of files .
But on my computer, AutoCAD 2015 works on the local machine only , not for online collaboration. Whether in the near future, we need to connect AutoDesk server to obtain these *.crx files ?