Author Topic: NX/UG users around?  (Read 5980 times)

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
NX/UG users around?
« on: February 21, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »
New job.

Using Siemens (shutup Mav) NX8.  Enovia v5 for CATIA model viewing.  Might get into more serious CATIA work but not immediately.

Really digging NX8, but I know I'm barely at the tip of the iceberg and love to get into more.  It seems quite a lot harder to find cohesive NX peer support areas, to me.  I don't know if its because of the less-populous userbase, or maybe the class of the users (larger companies typically; probably more in house training and experts on hand)  that leads it to be less populous online.

I'm going off some youtube videos and pondering the purchase of a book.  I hate to spend money on a book because the internet makes things much easier :|  but I will do what I have to.  I don't think my employer will send me to training for 2-3 days, but I might be able to get away with it later.  It's more a matter of being too busy and me being rather necessary to get away for 3+ days in a row.

Any ideas, pointers?

Drafter X

• Swamp Rat
Re: NX/UG users around?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 11:11:09 AM »
I had a hell of a time finding much learning help with NX, its powerful, but the peer support is not what I am used to like in the Autocad world.  There is a site Siemens runs that you need a login for that has some info and forums though.  Very nice system, but a tough learning curve.. and that stinks, cause I don't think it needs to be so steep, its just hard to find the info.
CadJockey Militia Commander

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »
I had a hell of a time finding much learning help with NX, its powerful, but the peer support is not what I am used to like in the Autocad world.  There is a site Siemens runs that you need a login for that has some info and forums though.  Very nice system, but a tough learning curve.. and that stinks, cause I don't think it needs to be so steep, its just hard to find the info.
Agreed.  I have decent enough experience with parametric modeling software (only Inventor and Solidworks) but this is the first environment where I'm also needing to utilize larger assemblies, sub assemblies, and cross-assembly features (fasteners, feature-driven clearance holes, etc) and while I'm learning and finding things, it's not as fast as I'm used to when having peer-support at my finger tips.  NX isn't UNintuitive, though, which is nice.

I also need to find out where the help-file docs are :|  Our IT guy saw fit to do as little work as possible (He's also a production guy, programming and running our waterjet so IT is a secondary duty) and since the help file is extra time/effort I guess he cut that corner.  So far I'm just getting by on "Command Finder" and the brief descriptions there.

But yea, I don't think the learning curve is hard - it's just finding the path in the first place.  I'll see what it'll take to get access to the Siemens site.  Thanks.

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »
I'm doing machine shop parts, assemblies, some tool design for aerospace, and tool/die design; punch press, forming dies, progressive dies.  I'd like to get into using the FEA features as well, but baby steps...

SDETERS

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »
we use NX here. 7.5 for now. 

For good forums look at ENgtips.com and PLMworld. 

http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=561

You using teamcenter or Native?