Author Topic: Help! We're revamping layers - now CUI needs major edit.  (Read 8995 times)

mammajamma

Help! We're revamping layers - now CUI needs major edit.
« on: February 19, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
This is going to be a royal pain, unless someone out there can help.
I want to comply with the new (improved?) company layer naming. Therefore, I have to rename all of my legacy P&ID layers. THAT isn't a big problem, editing the script that creates them is easy-peasy.
BUT I have a legacy customized cui "program" that inserts P&ID symbols and draws lines on specific layers from Image Tile Menus.
If this were the old MNU, it would be as simple as using find & replace from within any text editor. However, the cui file opened in a text editor is a bunch of wingding gibberish.
Is one line (block, command) at a time within the cui editor the only way to do this? I hate to think so, because it really opens it up for errors and omissions, not to mention it's wicked time consuming.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Help! We're revamping layers - now CUI needs major edit.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:52:53 AM »
A CUIx file is essentially a ZIP file.  See this article for more info.
http://blog.jtbworld.com/2009/02/how-to-edit-cuix-files-introduced-in.html
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

mammajamma

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:09:22 AM »
Thanks! I think that might work for me.  :-)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:26:02 AM »
A CUIx file is essentially a ZIP file.  See this article for more info.
http://blog.jtbworld.com/2009/02/how-to-edit-cuix-files-introduced-in.html

Thanks, that shedded some light on the CUIs and logic of their use.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 04:27:03 PM »
Longer term, look at something to replace the Image Tile menus.  They were fine for their time but there are so many other options now.  Look into something that has external data that you can manipulate easily so you don't have to touch the CUI interface or even AutoCAD to update the values.  Keep the UI editor for the actual UI.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mammajamma

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 08:25:14 AM »
Longer term, look at something to replace the Image Tile menus.  They were fine for their time but there are so many other options now.  Look into something that has external data that you can manipulate easily so you don't have to touch the CUI interface or even AutoCAD to update the values.  Keep the UI editor for the actual UI.

Such as...?
(Yes, I'm quite familiar with creating/using palettes for blocks)

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »
Custom programming, even if its a OOTB P&ID program.  The important part is to pull data management out of the UI, so the UI editor only has to manage UI related stuff (icons, toolbars, etc.) and not data (block names, layer names, etc.).

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Bethrine

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 01:30:19 PM »
Thanks, that shedded some light on the CUIs and logic of their use.

Sounds hairy.  :evil:

mammajamma

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 02:20:02 PM »
Custom programming, even if its a OOTB P&ID program.  The important part is to pull data management out of the UI, so the UI editor only has to manage UI related stuff (icons, toolbars, etc.) and not data (block names, layer names, etc.).

Doesn't sound like something that would be easier than customizing a couple of partial CUI files (not the main UI). Nor does it sound like something that would easily be made to work within AutoCAD LT AND vanilla AutoCAD (any version) AND MEP, etc., as our current "program" does.
I'm looking for down and dirty, quick and easy, which is what we have now, and which has worked for us since AutoCAD v12 or earlier (with tweaks and updates along the way, of course). Global edit of the correct unzipped file looks promising. Just awaiting verification of acceptable layer names.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 07:01:26 PM »

Doesn't sound like something that would be easier than customizing a couple of partial CUI files (not the main UI). Nor does it sound like something that would easily be made to work within AutoCAD LT AND vanilla AutoCAD (any version) AND MEP, etc., as our current "program" does.
I'm looking for down and dirty, quick and easy, which is what we have now, and which has worked for us since AutoCAD v12 or earlier (with tweaks and updates along the way, of course). Global edit of the correct unzipped file looks promising. Just awaiting verification of acceptable layer names.

LT not so much, but I wouldn't let something that lacking in intelligence do much more than plot a P&ID.  The others, no problem - I have tools which have been soldiering on from AutoCAD 2005, 2008, 2011, and continuing forward to 2014.  That includes changing from MNU to CUI to CUIx.  I've found changing a couple of text files with information is by far easier than digging into a menu (such as when a new client demands using layer names and settings which are different).  The version independence is a good timesaver as well - I had no changes when switching AutoCAD versions save for importing the menus, toolbar buttons, and so on.

Yes, looking for something cheap and dirty is usually the primary go-to.  But sometimes that isn't practical, productive, possible, or becomes inefficient upon deeper inspection.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}