Author Topic: mapwspace and xrefs  (Read 7740 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
mapwspace and xrefs
« on: January 17, 2014, 02:09:39 PM »
Importing shp and sid files works seamlessly, but I was wondering if anyone has ever had any luck getting a file with entities referenced by mapwspace to show up as an xref in another drawing? I know you can just import the files into multiple files, but it stands to reason you should be able to xref the file into any number of drawings and the data actually display. Sadly, when you xref the file in, nothing shows up.

Thoughts? Anyone?
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Wedding

Re: mapwspace and xrefs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:02:24 AM »
Map queries are not built to be XREF chained, just not the way it was built to work. Sorry.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:40:09 AM »
Map queries are not built to be XREF chained, just not the way it was built to work. Sorry.
Figured as much, but I was hopeful. Thanks, anyway.
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:45:53 AM »
Or continue to use MAP queries and not autocad XREF methods
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 12:05:23 PM »
Or continue to use MAP queries and not autocad XREF methods
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I was trying to avoid having to display the same data twice, and after a while, it starts to bog the file down a big. I do wish you could clip mrsid files, like you can with all other data, or is there a way that just eluded me?
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 12:15:01 PM »
does not image clip work?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »
If SID does preclude image clipping (only ECW & TIF here at the moment), just convert the image via Raster Design, no?
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »
If SID does preclude image clipping (only ECW & TIF here at the moment), just convert the image via Raster Design, no?

NO, not everyone has Raster Design
I try not to suggest solutions that require additional purchase.
If I worked for autodesk that would be different.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
does not image clip work?
Unless I just did something horribly stupid, when you bringin a mrsid file with mapwspace, it isn't treated the same as an image. It's like other mapspace data. I know you can bring in the sid file with mapiinsert, but it doesn't give you the option to desaturate, which I wanted.

We have infrastructure design suite 2013, so I do have Raster Design on my computer. However, when I opened it, everything looked the same as civil 3d, and I couldn't find any special raster design options. What I ended up doing was using ifranview to desaturate the mrsid files, save out as jpg, then inserted back in the drawing. The sucky part about that is, when you convert with ifranview, it stips out all coordinate data, so after the images came in at 0,0, I had to scale and move them to match the size and placement of the mapwspace mrsid, clipped them to fit my area, and then turned off the displaly for the mapwspace mrsid images.
I wasn't pleased with it, but it worked, and at the time, I just had to get an aerial overlay, and the above round-about method got me what I needed.
Dropbox

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »

... I didn't realize that was a requirement for making posts here... Like you were never gone; welcome back grumpy.  :-D  :-P

We have infrastructure design suite 2013, so I do have Raster Design on my computer. However, when I opened it, everything looked the same as civil 3d, and I couldn't find any special raster design options. What I ended up doing was using ifranview to desaturate the mrsid files, save out as jpg, then inserted back in the drawing. The sucky part about that is, when you convert with ifranview, it stips out all coordinate data, so after the images came in at 0,0, I had to scale and move them to match the size and placement of the mapwspace mrsid, clipped them to fit my area, and then turned off the displaly for the mapwspace mrsid images.
I wasn't pleased with it, but it worked, and at the time, I just had to get an aerial overlay, and the above round-about method got me what I needed.

FWIW -

Raster Design is a glorified add-on / plug-in which is loaded into AutoCAD, Map 3D, Civil 3D, etc. and cannot launch in it's own editor. For this reason, we incorporate RD into our production profiles, such that RD is demand-loaded (i.e., CUIx, SFSP, etc.).

Not sure which 'raster design options' you're after... See Raster Tools tab in Ribbon, perhaps IOPTIONS Command specifically?

I typically attach raster images via MAPIINSERT (doesn't demand-load RD), or IINSERT from our library for each county, state, etc. on the network, and export attached raster images using IEXPORT, as TIF (with JPEG compression), and re-associate the exported image via World File, where all exported files are located within the project's directory tree to make it easy for others, etc.

Not sure where you're getting your SID files, but they should come in, and export out with coordinates in my limited experience.

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »

... I didn't realize that was a requirement for making posts here... Like you were never gone; welcome back grumpy.  :-D  :-P

I did not say that was a requirement.
However it would be like telling some one to use a TIG welder to fix something that could be fixed without buying a TIG welder.
In other words I try to offer solutions that do not require ADD INS or additional purchases.

For the record, I'm not Grumpy, I'm one of the other dwarves.   

For the other user, IF they have the entire suite and IF they loaded all the suite at installation there should be a ribbon heading of RASTER TOOLS to select from.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell