Author Topic: Control Trailing Zeros in Civil 3D Contour Labels  (Read 10461 times)

Dent Cermak

Re: Control Trailing Zeros in Civil 3D Contour Labels
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »
By definition an "Index" contour is every fifth contour line. It is an "index mark" to aid in figuring out elevation changes quickly. Index marks are used throughout industry to facilite many processes. Changing the definition eliminates that process and leads to errors.
Nubmber two, if your pals cannot determine elevations without intermediate contours being labeled, they do not need to be in their field.
A proper map will have adequate spot elevations to facilitate this function. And, in really flat areas, there is no rule that says additional values cannot be placed on the intermediate contours. I do this often because I know some of my clients know nothing about contours and really struggle at the simplest of interpolations.
Just as there are specific rules and practices in proper engineering detail drawings, there are rules in cartography that are often overlooked by the unskilled and uninformed. This is becoming a major problem with the implementation of several GIS systems designed by rookies that promise impossible accuracies using their products. I tend to snicker when a salesperson "guarantees" 1 cm accuracies.
Today there are a lot of guys knocking out contours that do not understand the simple concept that index contours exist and should be represented with different line weights. (Line weight??WTF??)
I often wonder how many here (other than Mr. Farrell) know how many types of contours there are and how to properly represent them ?
If you are going to try to practice my craft, please learn how to do it properly.
You really wouldn't want me to do your architectural drawings. I would end up violating the PRIME DIRECTIVE of an architectural drater and have all of my interior dimensions add up to the total displayed exterior distance. This, obviously, is a BIG no-no in the architectural world.  :-D

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 10:45:20 AM »
Source please?

Not trying to argue about anything here, just wanting to learn, and if there's a documented standard, ANSI, ASTM, or otherwise, I'd like to know about it.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 10:48:12 AM »
I often wonder how many here (other than Mr. Farrell) know how many types of contours there are and how to properly represent them ?
Contours!!! I can't remember the last job I did that had contours in it.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 12:07:45 PM »
Source please?

Not trying to argue about anything here, just wanting to learn, and if there's a documented standard, ANSI, ASTM, or otherwise, I'd like to know about it.

My original definition was from a USGS publication

However it might not ALL be in a book somewhere:

Cartography is the study and practice of making maps. Combining science, aesthetics, and technique, cartography builds on the premise that reality can be modeled in ways that communicate spatial information effectively.

It is as much a science as an art-form.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:15:18 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dent Cermak

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 01:55:32 PM »
Source please?

Source???
How about 45 years of experience?
How about FM 21-26,"Map Reading?
How about FM 21-31, "Topographic Symbols"
How about "Cartographic design and Production by J. S. Keates
How about "Elements of Cartography" by Arthur Robinson, Randall Sale and Joel Morrisson?
How about "Survey Drafting" by Gurdon H. Wattles?
How about all of the USGS pubs?
How abour all of the DMA pubs?
How about the FACT that all of these documents are in agreement?
Throw in all the ACSM/NSPS goodies and it's all clearly spelled out.
For those of us that have drawn maps using the negative engraving techniques, there are even manuals that lay out the line widths of each and every feature.

Your implecation is that I just make this snit up. Far from it. Unlike so many others, I know my CRAFT.

I am getting ready to start a new project for the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers. The "standards" that I must comply with for just this one job are:
EM-1110-1-1000
EM-1110-1-1002
EM-1110-1-1003
EM-1110-2-1009
EM-1110-1-1005
EM-1110-2-1003
EM-1110-1-2909
and A/E/C CADD Standards AND the Minimum Technical Standards for the State of Alabama.
There used to be just one manual for it all -TM-23A, but as things got more complex and the old hands retired, the manuals were re-written into the multiple volumes we have today. Yeah. I'd like to see it all in one book, but I don't think my office is big enough to hold such a volume.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:07:21 PM by Dent Cermak »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »
Pack your lunch kiddies, here comes the bus!

And Dent is taking you to school!    :police:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
Source please?

Your implecation is that I just make this snit up. Far from it. Unlike so many others, I know my CRAFT.

No such implication intended, and I regret that you took it that way.  to repeat myself.... 'just wanting to learn'.

And thanks for the sources.  I'm more of a Harlan Alltrades than Cary Cartographer, but it's one of the parts of my job I enjoy more than WWTP  design.  That'll make for some not-so-light reading.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 02:51:41 PM »
I'll throw you a copy of FM 21-26
right here. I forgot about this little gem that I was exposed to in Basic Training and Later in Survival Training, and
yet again in Jungle Warfare course.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uvm.edu%2F~goldbar%2FFM3_25.26.pdf&ei=OmlyU4M7iefwAfPzgaAK&usg=AFQjCNGULSRODikdniOfOLFB4bpXlohSmA&sig2=1Tb2piITLPnaJ4Z7feB9tw&bvm=bv.66330100,d.b2U
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dent Cermak

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
Did you know that the ONLY test that a candidate in OCS MUST pass in order to get his/her commission is the Map Reading  test? FM 21-26 is a Bible to all new 2LT's. Thus the saying that "The most dangerous weapon in the world is a 2LT with a map in his/her hand.".

http://www.enlisted.info/field-manuals/fm-1-100-aviation-operations.shtml

All of the FM's can be downloaded from this site.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:40:34 PM by Dent Cermak »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »
"The most dangerous weapon in the world is a 2LT with a map in his/her hand.".

I know this to be true from a few days of fumbling around in the jungle of Panama under direction of a LT, that had previously
only been in command of his desk!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dent Cermak

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »
It could have been worse. That 2LT could have been me. I still get some "remember when....." tales from my old enlisted folks.  :oops: