Author Topic: encryption  (Read 2456 times)

ELOQUINTET

encryption
« on: March 29, 2005, 04:36:06 PM »
i may be touching on a sensitive subject here don't know. a former employee here was developng a routine but never got the chance to complete it for whatever reason. it would be great if i could finish it but the problem is he encrypted it. now i know i should respect his wishes but it would be great if it was finished because it had great potential. i'm wondering since he also did it for the company if it does not belong to the company and thus should be open. i'm wondering if there's any software to decrypt it and how everyone feels about that. just curious

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
encryption
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 04:44:27 PM »
Now Dan ......... you know better.

Send the person who wrote it an e-mail ask him out-right.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
encryption
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:46:05 PM »
Well, your prolly not gonna get it decrypted. (It "can" be done ...blah, blah, blah. ...sorta) BUT, it would be a whole lot easier if you just re-wrote it.  Trust me! It would make your life a whole lot easier! Just re-write it.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

ELOQUINTET

encryption
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 06:38:40 PM »
the reply i expected. i believe it was written in vba but haven't really looked into it yet. i only know that i was trying to use it and my boss told me it was never finished and had been encrypted. i guess i just wanted to see if my hunch was correct, i know better  :oops:

TR

Re: encryption
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 08:03:52 PM »
Quote from: ELOQUINTET
i'm wondering since he also did it for the company if it does not belong to the company and thus should be open.

I don't know how your place works but I signed an agreement that anything I create on company time is company property. If that's the case then feel free to decrypt it as you have every right to.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
encryption
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 08:07:11 PM »
Aside from the issues regarding decrypting code that was encrypted for whatever reason, as I all too well know, if the code was written by an employee, for employment purposes, the copyright then would belong to the employer as a "Work for hire" even if the employee was never compensated for the work ... painful memories coming back now ... anyway, ,that would make it your employers call on whether to allow it to be decrypted ... I'll not go into the whole story,  but suffice to say I went through this battle with a previous employer in 2002 .... my lawyer finally advised me that regardless of the outcome of the lawsuit, that they would still have complete control over the code and it's use because there was no written licensing agreement.

So...
Did this employee write it on company time? If so there is no problem with decrypting it, provided it can be decrypted.

Did the employee provide a licensing agreement for the company? If no, then the company has all legal right to it's use, and reverse engineering has been held to be "fair use" by the courts and DMCA.

If the employer agreed to a licensing agreement that prohibits reverse engineering, then it is likely not ok to decrypt it.

If the employee did not create it while working at the companyor did not do it on company time, then the case would be very sticky and I would recommend staying clear of it.

All in all, I think that Se7en is right though ... it would make you a much better programmer if you simply recreated the program from scratch.

Now ask me if I have ever decrypted a program ... yep, plenty of times, would I do it and provide you with the source ... nope ... I have no assurances it would not be an unlawful enterprise ... But .... if I were in your shoes I would do it ... but only after direction from my employer.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie