Author Topic: Well tested common functions library - should we have it?  (Read 16494 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Re: Well tested common functions library - should we have it?
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2013, 02:26:17 PM »
Most people think C++ 11 code is C#.

Why not use well tested and efficient designed algorithms from communities with many more users and money to create them.

When LE exported Math functions to AutoLisp he just gave access to methods that have been used and tested by millions of people, countless hours of math and computer nerds analyzing it.

Nothing anyone said here but seems like people perceptions of other languages are based on AutoCAD's API for that language.

hawstom

• Newt
  • AutoCAD Civil 3D, Mesa, AZ, USA
Re: Well tested common functions library - should we have it?
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2017, 01:39:27 PM »
Blink and it's 2017.

I think this is worth whatever effort it takes.  I see room for a few competing libraries.  But the key is that they are community projects, which has not yet happened.

I'm not so opinionated as to care a lot whether the first success looks a lot like the efforts of LE3, divtiply, roy_43, or something else.  Or whether it builds on CL or Reini Urban's work (though building on the best foundation is probably smart).

I am guessing we just have to keep talking until we can get at least a few of us diverse and strong-minded folks to unite behind something and then listen and invite and evangelize like crazy.  Let's keep talking.  I am in this for the long haul (not looking to retire or die soon).
Not so terse now.  You may not feel so clever in 6 months or years.  http://lisp-lang.org/style-guide/
hawsedc.com, and autocad.wikia.com