Author Topic: Relative Paths  (Read 2872 times)

ChrisCarlson

Relative Paths
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:27:35 AM »
We recently brought on a new, outsourced IT department which wants to start archiving project files. Is there a way to default xrefs (inserted pdf's/tiffs) as relative paths to the .dwg file? Currently ACAD 2014 inserts xrefs with an absolute path, upon archiving this path will be broken and we need to re-attach or relocate the xrefs.

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: Relative Paths
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:42:04 AM »
Here's Jimmy's SETPATHTYPE function.

To batch manipulate stored XREF paths in drawings, use Reference Manager.

HTH
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »
Just remember, if the path changes drives it *cannot* be relative.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 10:11:51 AM »
Why not?  As long as the folder structure stays the same, the xref file locations are relative to the source file, regardless of drive.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:10:26 AM »
We tried using relative pathing for archiving and it didn't work but I can't remember why. We kept the folder structure the same but there was something about the upper levels that screwed it up.
CAD Tech

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »
Why not?  As long as the folder structure stays the same, the xref file locations are relative to the source file, regardless of drive.

If your content is on X:\Some\path\here\... then you cannot provide a relative path to Y:\Another\path\there\...

For example, we have engineers stamps as XREFs in a write protected drive which is separate from the projects drive.  Those XREFs cannot be changed to relative paths because they are on a separate drive, even though the other drawings are all on the same drive.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »
For example, we have engineers stamps as XREFs in a write protected drive which is separate from the projects drive.  Those XREFs cannot be changed to relative paths because they are on a separate drive, even though the other drawings are all on the same drive.
Gotcha!  I was under the impression that all of your files were on the same drive.  So, yeah...  that makes sense.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »
We have (2) drives

G:\ = AutoCAD support files, plotters, lisps, templates, etc. This is constant so no worries here.

I:\ = Project drive, this is the problem drive. Every 100 new projects numbers, the oldest 100 are archived to a separate long term storage array. Occasionally we need to access these projects for revisions, reprints, etc.

Once the project folder is moved the referenced TIFF link is broken. If the attached file is a .dwg, AutoCAD allows relative paths but Tiffs/PDF's appear to be absolute paths only.

danallen

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 03:14:30 PM »
Have you looked into projectname variable and paths? The solution might be to add automation to check if xref paths are unresolved, change projectname which allows that drawing to look into other listed folders for xrefs, then use your automation to reload unresolved xrefs.

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 04:11:38 PM »
No I have not.

However if I insert the TIFF/PDF via "xref" and "Attach image" I can choose relative path and it works as intended even if the project folder in it's entirety moves around.

Inserting images this way is tedious and :ugly:, I'll have to dig into the system variables and see if there is an option I can change for default attach method.   

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 07:21:23 PM »
Could you use ARCHIVE or ETRANSMITT to new location?

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 03:53:04 PM »
We could if that's how our IT department archived, presently they drag and drop (or automated version) via windows explorer.