Author Topic: ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!  (Read 8649 times)

Dent Cermak

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:40:49 PM »
This has probably been addressed before and is probably VERY simple.......BUT ..................I have just loaded up LDD5 (I know 2006 comes out in a month- I DON'T CARE!!) What happened to the Acad.pgp file??? I've got all of my lisp stuff going, my blocks work fine, my prototype files load as does my dwt file, but where are my hot key settings? And do I really have to re-do my descriptor key files? It says it converts the old file but it's not saving the new file to the prototype?

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 01:44:06 PM »
im assuming your on nt2000 or XP, look in documents and settings\username\autodesk\support

path to be close to that.  I dont know the LDD paths
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 01:44:31 PM »
Dent I dont know... I ll have to do the same thing... anyone

but it should transition ok
Civil3D 2020

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 01:45:07 PM »
C:\Documents and Settings\ua02038.TEP\Application Data\Autodesk\Autodesk Map 3D 2005\R16.1\enu\Support

is my path
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Dent Cermak

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 02:02:32 PM »
Thanks! Found it. Now, why the hey did they put it there?

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 02:05:52 PM »
the idea was to put it in "USER" folder, so your profile would control your autocad.  2 users on same machine would/could have different setups

Dent Cermak

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 02:24:16 PM »
But if we use drafting standards, shouldn't they both be using the same set-up? I like the flexibility to be able to put my files whereever, but that will bite me in the big ole butt sooner or later. 'Sometimers" will kick in and I will forget where I put everything.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 02:29:35 PM »
thats why i repath all of the autocad paths to network drives.  All my users use the same files that way

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 04:09:07 PM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
Thanks! Found it. Now, why the hey did they put it there?

<rant>
Because MS and Autodesk are married!! It's all part of the MS master scheme. They're trying to make like unix, where everyone get their own "home" directory. Only MS decided on Documents<s_p_a_c_e>And<s_p_a_c_e>Settings\<user> instead of the simple home\<user>. Of course I can't live with that so mine is setup as 'home\mark'.
</rant>

MS to Adesk: "you'll put the dang files where I tell ya to"
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Dent Cermak

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 04:19:20 PM »
It wouldn't have been bad if it HAD told me where it was going to put the files. (and no, I didn't think about doing into explorer and doing a search.....I'm old...it's allowed.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 04:39:27 PM »
Another conundrum....condominiu,......condo..QUESTION. When I do a "save as" it only goes back to 2004 ? I can't save back any further ?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 04:56:07 PM »
Look under File->Export or something like that.

Dinosaur

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 05:35:35 PM »
There is one major advantage to having files such as your pgp and custom menus in this directory.  When the inevitable happens and a new installation is needed, these files will not be overwritten as they would if left in the program directory.  I have gone a bit further and copied my entire data folder with all of its subs into this dierctory as well.  I also redirected the path in program setup to this folder and mirrored the whole thing onto my personal drive on the server in case of HD failure.  One nore good thing to place here is you " user name.arg" file after you export you profile.  Set you desktop icon to address this file and your old screen and program settings will load right up everytime.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 06:32:46 PM »
I'll try that Monday when I get back to the office Mark. (That's another thing I don't like, can't load a second copy at home like you used to be able to. Doug Medley says he will show me how in our training class, but I don't like the idea of having to download a file that disables a copy in order to put it on the pooter at home. I'll forget to take it back one day.)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 07:24:04 PM »
I didn't think you had to do the license transfer thing if you're installing on a home PC. Aren't you still allowed two installs?