Author Topic: Difference Between "Point" and "Base Point" Parameter?  (Read 5387 times)

Pointdump

• Mosquito
Difference Between "Point" and "Base Point" Parameter?
« on: September 26, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »
My first post here. What's the difference between the "Point" Parameter and the "Base Point" Parameter in the Block Authoring Parameter Pallet?

Dynamic Blocks are tough!

Dave in Arizona

Pointdump

• Mosquito
Re: Difference Between "Point" and "Base Point" Parameter?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 11:43:55 AM »
Hi All,

I also posted this question on the AutoDesk Forum. Charles Shade answered my question thusly:

Basepoint is used to specify a Point in the Block that will be used as the Insertion Point. Much as you can create a Block using WBLOCK and assign an Insertion Point, BASEPOINT is used in this way.
The POINT Parameter is nothing more than a place to generally attach Actions to. There are several Actions that can be assigned to a Point Parameter. MOVE and STRETCH roll off the Keyboard but there are other uses for this versatile Parameter.
One use that may elude some Dynamic Block enthusiasts has to do with Insertion Points. (This could be where some could get confused with the Basepoint Parameter, which as it states is the Basepoint, and is always.) Point Parameters can be added to a Dynamic block to give the illusion of multiple insertion points. Using CTRL on the Keyboard when inserting a Dynamic Block with Multiple Point Parameters will give the user the option to insert a Block from multiple positions. These do not override the Basepoint Parameter but rather complement it.
[/font][/size]

I seem to have the biggest problems with the smallest particulars. AutoCAD's help section is hit-or-miss, so I'm glad there are forums for all the things I can't figure out on my own.

Dave

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.