Author Topic: [tutorial] Configuration of Revit with the Revit.ini : Introduction  (Read 6392 times)

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
I am building the installer (revit/acad) for my company and I thought I would share with you all my Revit.ini so you can employ the same technique. Not sure if anyone uses the "Revit.ini" in their office but if you don't, this will be a good primer for you.

The Revit.ini file will control things like library locations. This allows me to point everyones Revit at a network location I can update (families and libraries). What we will be doing is creating a simple Revit.ini and I will show you how to test (aka: break) your revit before you roll out your own.

In windows 7 the Revit.ini is located here:
Code: [Select]
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2014\UserDataCache\
BUT WAIT! That's not the one you want to edit right now (Did you honestly think anything autodesk does is simple). That one is the one that gets placed during the install (More on that one later). The one you want to edit for testing is located here:
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit 2014\
Open it up in a text editor and I will give you some stuff to change. Below are some good ones to start with. For these to work,  you will need a %NETWORKLOCATION% to place some files in (families, templates, lookup tables, etc.).

Code - INI: [Select]
  1. [DirectoriesENU]
  2. FamilyTemplatePath=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Templates\Family Templates\English_I
  3. DataLibraryLocations=Imperial Library=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Imperial Library, Imperial Detail Library=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Libraries\US Imperial\Detail Items
  4. ImportLineweightsNameDWG=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Data\importlineweights-dwg-default.txt
  5. MaterialLibraryFiles=..\Data\Rendering
  6. DefaultTemplate=Mechanical Template=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Templates\Mechanical-Template.rte, Electrical Template=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Templates\Electrical-Template.rte
  7. [Directories]
  8. ProjectPath=%LOCALWORKLOCATION%\Projects
  9. LookupTableLocation=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Lookup Tables

Now if you had revit open, restart it and check to see if what you changed worked.

Ok, now a little more on the one located in the "programdata" folder. During the install I created a smaller Revit.ini I imported into the configuration of the 2014 Revit installer. This is a good practice because it allows me to make sure that everyone gets a "good install" the first time and I don't have to actually do anything after they install Revit (roll outs are quick and painless).

Here is the smaller Revit.ini I created for my installer. Feel free to modify as needed.

Code - INI: [Select]
  1. [Revit.ini]
  2. [Colors]
  3. HiLiteColor=157
  4. PreHiLiteColor=7416648
  5. ErrorColor=22704
  6. [DirectoriesENU]
  7. FamilyTemplatePath=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Templates\Family Templates\English_I
  8. DataLibraryLocations=Imperial Library=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Imperial Library, Imperial Detail Library=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Libraries\US Imperial\Detail Items
  9. ImportLineweightsNameDWG=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Data\importlineweights-dwg-default.txt
  10. MaterialLibraryFiles=..\Data\Rendering
  11. DefaultTemplate=Mechanical Template=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Templates\Mechanical-Template.rte, Electrical Template=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Templates\Electrical-Template.rte
  12. [Directories]
  13. ProjectPath=%LOCALWORKLOCATION%\Projects
  14. LookupTableLocation=%NETWORKLOCATION%\RevitMEP14\Lookup Tables
  15. [UserInterface]
  16. AllowPressAndDrag=0
  17. Maximized=1
  18. SuppressNewFeaturesWorkshop=1
  19. TooltipAssistance=1
  20. [Graphics]
  21. TempDimFontSizeInPoints=16
  22. InvertBackground=0
  23. OptimizedViewNavigation=1
  24. Antialiasing=0
  25. SemiTransparent=1
  26. [Language]
  27. Select=ENU
  28. [Applications]
  29. Mechanical=1
  30. Electrical=1
  31. Architectural=0
  32. Structural=0
  33. [InstallationSettings]
  34. Language=ENU
  35. Usage=Mechanical
  36. [ContentSearch]
  37. Site=http://seek.autodesk.com
  38. PublishURL=
  39. [Documentation]
  40. OnlineHelpServer=http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/
  41. HelpBrowser=0
  42. [AppFrame]
  43. Theme=0
  44. [Messages]
  45. SuppressNoRenderingWarning=1
“Common sense is not so common.” ~Voltaire

--> Donate to TheSwamp.org <--

trogg

• Bull Frog
Re: [tutorial] Configuration of Revit with the Revit.ini : Introduction
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 03:07:42 pm »
Thanks John,

I have recently changed realms from AutoCAD to Revit and need to learn about Revit from the back end.

This is definitely helpful.

Thanks
~Greg

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 08:11:26 am »
No problem.

I am not a CAD/BIM manager anymore (kinda gave it up to save on the stress) but Revit is a lot easier to maintain then AutoCAD was/is. You can do something similar with the AutoCAD installer but it was a royal PITA.

Some advice if I may.
1. Keep everyone's revit the same (create installers).
2. Take good notes.
3. Get a good text editor.
4. Try out and learn a Version Control software tool for your families.
5. Ask a ton of questions here.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:28:32 am »
No problem.

I am not a CAD/BIM manager anymore (kinda gave it up to save on the stress) but Revit is a lot easier to maintain then AutoCAD was/is. You can do something similar with the AutoCAD installer but it was a royal PITA.

Some advice if I may.
1. Keep everyone's revit the same (create installers).
2. Take good notes.
3. Get a good text editor.
4. Try out and learn a Version Control software tool for your families.
5. Ask a ton of questions here.
Huh?? Can you elaborate on this one??
Autodesk Expert Elite
Autodesk Revit Architecture, Structure, MEP Mechanical and MEP Electrical Certified Professional
Building Performance Analysis Certified (BPAC v3.0)
Autodesk Navisworks 2014 Essentials

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 09:08:40 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_revision_control

Version control is used by programmers to allow them to all work on the same project across a wide area (many different locations not on the same network) but (that's not really what we want it for) what Version Control software does is allow you to "roll back" your changes if need be and allow you to push and pull from any location [ https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=49375.0 ].

Basically, I use VC to:
1. Track my progress.
~ That's self explanatory but I can pick up where I left off after a long break or find out what I did last.
2. Create branches.
~ Allows me to have a "clean" and "working" branch which I can use to keep one directory of files. I keep my helper families, scripts, and etc out of my network library (my scripts, helpers, notes, docs are in my "working branch" and never get pushed up to the network).
3. Push my "clean branch" to any network location(S) I need them to with little problems.
~ I can push my library up to the network location or locations (I am starting to work from the "east office" now and I can push to my and their servers at the same time).
4. Undo all/some of my changes if necessary.
~ If I mess up I don't have to recreate a family, script, config, etc.
5. Keep organized.
~ Since I have to type in what I did "after each save" (kinda like the SWC dialog) I stay organized and work more efficiently.

I use Git. It is a command line tool so I have to have a cmd prompt open constantly but I am used to working in the command line from Unix/Linux/MacOSX. However, there are several very good GUI to git.

NOTE: There are several very good Version Control Software packages out there: Git, Bazaar, Mercurial,

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:08:31 am »
Good stuff thanks for sharing

diarmuid

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 04:28:34 am »
I am not a CAD/BIM manager anymore (kinda gave it up to save on the stress) but Revit is a lot easier to maintain then AutoCAD was/is.

I'm currently the CAD/BIM manager at my office and i can tell you i am feeling the stress these last few years.  I am actually at this point in time talking to anther dept ahead about heading back to projects.  To see your post was heartening as i thought it was only me.

Diamruid
If you want to win something run the 100m, if you want to experience something run a marathon

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 06:30:34 am »
I am not a CAD/BIM manager anymore (kinda gave it up to save on the stress) but Revit is a lot easier to maintain then AutoCAD was/is.

I'm currently the CAD/BIM manager at my office and i can tell you i am feeling the stress these last few years.  I am actually at this point in time talking to anther dept ahead about heading back to projects.  To see your post was heartening as i thought it was only me.

Diamruid

It can be a very stressful job at times. There were days I wouldn't get to sit at my desk until several hours after I got to work. By far the most stress I had at being a CAD mgr was a one of my last companies; it was brutal at times! Most people there never wanted to "do anything" they wanted a "button for everything" and my boss actually told me he wanted me to get AutoCAD and Revit all set up and me to write up step-by-step instructions for everything so he could hire anyone off the street to do our jobs (it was insane!).  ...hang in there Diamruid.

diarmuid

• Bull Frog
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 06:58:25 am »
The exact same shit is happening here, they want a document for everything.  They keep forgetting that the writer of the document has 20 years experience, 6 with revit, 20 with AutoCAD, and they think they can circumvent that life experience by a 5 page technical guidance document.

I'll hang in there, thanks for the support.
If you want to win something run the 100m, if you want to experience something run a marathon

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 07:43:02 am »
Are you sure you're not sitting at my old desk? lol

I wrote their document/manual/SOP but I did it in LaTeX....Why did I write the manual in something no one there (present or future) could maintain or update because fu&* them; it was an moronic task that should never have been given or thought of in the first place.

bleh

• Mosquito
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 07:07:19 pm »
Genius on the LaTeX; I do tricks like that all the time in terms of short changing. Color me ignorant (I am) but I need to learn how to manipulate the .ini file. I have a basic understanding of code (C+ and Matlab, both intro college level) and I'd like to know where to begin my education. Are there any good resources (i.e books, courses, etc.) you can recommend?