Author Topic: Civil 3D 2014 | Point Cloud Import Breaklines  (Read 3765 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Civil 3D 2014 | Point Cloud Import Breaklines
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how to help a friend with a point cloud, and do not have their data... They've created the point cloud, but do not see the breaklines they were expecting... I quickly searched Google and cannot find a solid tutorial for this online; anyone know of any?

TIA
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: Civil 3D 2014 | Point Cloud Import Breaklines
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 01:24:34 PM »
Forgot to mention that they're creating a surface from the point cloud (which is where they need the breaklines, etc.).

Cheers

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 01:25:19 PM »
I am far from an expert on this, in fact more like a novice, but I was under the impression that Point Clouds were just that, lots of points. I didn't know they COULD contain breaklines.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 01:29:46 PM »
I am far from an expert on this, in fact more like a novice, but I was under the impression that Point Clouds were just that, lots of points. I didn't know they COULD contain breaklines.

... And this may be where my being a novice with point clouds (LIDAR) is showing given the poor description; but the folder where the point cloud was imported from (data from ArcGis as I understand it), included a "Breaklines" folder, which contains files of type: .gdbindexes, .gdbtable, .spx, and .freelist.

The hope was that these could be pulled in to be applied as breaklines to surface edit(s), if that makes sense?

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 01:30:46 PM »
The only way a point cloud could contain a break line (I believe) is if the points from that point cloud were strictly for the break line itself.  I mean, how else would you distinguish one point from another??  You can add point clouds to surfaces.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »
My first thought, was for them to create the surface from the point cloud, delete any erroneous points included (only points displayed are used to create the surface as I understand it), and then manually add the necessary feature lines, etc. to be then applied as break line for surface edit(s).

The reason for the post is to make sure I'm not just oblivious to a simple means by which to bring in the ArcGis "breaklines" as AutoCAD entities from the above mentioned file type(s)... As that would save considerable, manual effort.

Cheers

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »
Well, this is still out of my area of great knowledge (IOW, I read it on the'net somewhere, once), but you can import the ArcGIS ESRI data using Map. This will bring the linework in from those other files. I need a job that forces me to learn this stuff....

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 02:55:08 PM »
Thanks for your help, guys.  :-)