Author Topic: First Exchange Submittal  (Read 6218 times)

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
First Exchange Submittal
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:16:07 AM »
Excited to say I am making my first attempt to submit an app to exchange... it's a lame app I created just to test the submittal process / waters... I'm positive it will be a disaster and they will tear apart my code but the bundle process was fun :)  stay tuned for tears

Just for kicks and giggles here's a preview :)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:34:58 AM by Alien »

WILL HATCH

• Bull Frog
Re: First Exchange Submittal
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »
Trees and umbrellas?
Margaritas and bellinis?
Did you use any licensing or obfuscation?

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:52:43 PM »
That's right... an app for to go with the beer :) lol

Negative... open source.. free... no obsoconfusion :) Any noob could duplicate it with very little effort... it really is lame lol... but I needed to learn the process for bundling and feedback for more complicated chores :) of course I got a long ways to match up with all you pros ;) still totally excited to even try
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:56:56 PM by Alien »

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:29:42 PM »
How about outlining the things you learnt during the process ...
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

WILL HATCH

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 11:36:04 PM »
Congrats! I'm definitely interested in what you've learned through the process.  I'll be going down that road soon.

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 12:42:18 AM »
Great suggestion Kerry!  8-)
Call me Guinea, as in pig... Still learning but I'll keep people informed here for those who want to risk the adventure, and hope others will too :)

These are the things I learned with the submittal so far:
- I submitted a C#.Net app, but autolisps can easily be packaged to sale in exchange :) I love that!!
- Need paypal account. This is so if people purchase your product it can be processed. I had to add my paypal email even though my app was free.
- Plugins have to work with the current version of the product they are intended for, and the version before it (Civil 3d 2014 and 2013 for example).  - I read this on a forum but just verified this isn't the case... see Products and Types here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=20149725#producttypes
- The application for submittal was super simple
- I uploaded a .zip file of my source but the first thing asked for was for the package to be provided in a .bundle format. I'll outline that below.
- They requested that the bundle include a partial CUI, which they sent me a link to learn how to make one here:

http://download.autodesk.com/media/adn/DevTV_Creating_a_Partial_CUI/DevTV_Creating_a_Partial_CUI.html

About the .bundle file folder:

Turns out .bundle is just a file folder, renamed to add .bundle at the end. Autodesk products are built to find the .bundle file and read a .xml file inside pointing to the various program contents provided in the file (which format varies but is easy to modify).  The format of the .xml file can be seen here:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/browse#WS73099cc142f4875533992bfb12ce8a5f915-7e45.htm

Inside the bundle file includes the xml, our program (mine was a .dll), a .html help file we create for our program, and any additional resources needed to use the program. I found an awesome suggestion from Kean (who so kindly provides so much of his genious online), every time we download a plugin the .bundle is provided with that plugin. He recommended simply copying that package and modifying the contents with our own.  I started with Giles Osnap Plugin (Thank you Giles if you read this!) but it had much more than I needed... I found I could simplify the xml file since I only had a CUI, help file, and .dll based on the link I provided above.

Last, it's super easy to test the .bundle file :) All you have to do is place it in the same directory other plugins are stored that you downloaded... simply do a search on your computer for .bundle, and presto! there you should place it.  If it loads successfully, you will see a message pop up in your product saying so, and under plugins you'll find the partial CUI you created with your fancy icon and run your app as it should.

Last, a friend reviewed my file and said they wont force me but they like to structure their .bundle folders in a specific format (with a Contents subfolder, and a Resources Subfolder) as well a format for the helpfile .html file they request be included with the app. I've asked for that information and will post it asap.

Here is the page to submit your plugins:
http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/en/Publisher/Description?productline=ACD

Here is the basic direction to fill out the application if needed:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=20149658

Hope this helps :)

Modified to include the preferred .bundle file folder structure:

AppName.bundle
           Contents
                  -PackageContents.xml
                  Help
                      -Help File
                      Images
                           -Help file images
                  Resources
                      en-US
                           -CUI file
                           -Here is where the blocks and such should be
                  Windows
                           Win32
                               -DLL File
                           Win64
                               -DLL File
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:14:45 AM by Alien »

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:54:59 AM »
Thanks for the info.
I dislike the requirement for providing a build for current and previous versions because it precludes the possibility of using new features only available in the current version.

Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 01:09:19 AM »
Thanks for the info.
I dislike the requirement for providing a build for current and previous versions because it precludes the possibility of using new features only available in the current version.

Hi Kerry, GOOD NEWS!

I'm glad you said something because that definately would have made no sense... I read that little snippit on a forum before I started my app but turns out it's bogus.  It has to work in the CURRENT version.  SORRY EVERYONE! I called my developer buddy and he pointed me to their product version guidelines here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=20149725#producttypes
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:24:35 AM by Alien »

gile

• Gator
  • Marseille, France
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 01:34:53 AM »
Hi,

From my little experience, you only have to provide different builds in case of compatibility issues (i.e. .NET apps with A2012 and A2013/2014).

Another thing, you should have to provide your own msi if your app requires to run some custom method during the installation. I had to do it for OsnapPalette which needs to create two custom system variables (writing HKLM values).
Speaking English as a French Frog

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 01:44:42 AM »
Thanks for the update Alien.

Thanks for the MSI distinction gile.
Do AutoDesk give you a report regarding download count , etc ??

gile

• Gator
  • Marseille, France
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 01:54:17 AM »

Yes, you'll recieve a mail for each download of your app with the user address, and from Exchange website, you can go to "My uploads" (or "My published apps", I do not remeber) to see the the download count. You can also, by clicking on the count number, download a csv file which contains all the downloaders data.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 02:00:25 AM »

Most excellent !!

nobody

• Swamp Rat
  • .net stuff
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 02:35:35 AM »

Most excellent !!

Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »

Yes, you'll recieve a mail for each download of your app with the user address, and from Exchange website, you can go to "My uploads" (or "My published apps", I do not remeber) to see the the download count. You can also, by clicking on the count number, download a csv file which contains all the downloaders data.

... I hate to admit this, but yours is bigger than mine:

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

LE3

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »

How about sales? are they good? can you make enough to continue adding more features or to come up with better new apps?

gile

• Gator
  • Marseille, France
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »

How about sales? are they good? can you make enough to continue adding more features or to come up with better new apps?

I cant say...
I'm not a good seller at all !
As you can see, the OsnapPalette paied version have been downloaded only 28 times since august 2012 (the date on the picture is the one of last update) while the trial version (with, I admit, a quite gentle 'per session timeout') have been download more than 600 times.
The price issue is also quite difficult: should I have sold more if it was $1.00 ? should I have sold less if it was $10.00 ? Nobody knows...
In fact, I did it more to test the process and to have some advertising.

LE3

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 09:10:02 PM »
In fact, I did it more to test the process and to have some advertising.

Good to know, thank you Gile - was simple curiosity. All the best.