Author Topic: Inventor Fusion  (Read 6149 times)

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
Inventor Fusion
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:11:37 AM »
With a seat of Plant 3D, we got a copy of Inventor Fusion on the thumb drive with the install files.

I was installing Autocad on my personal laptop and installed Inventor Fusion to go with it, and check it out.

It's... LIKE... Inventor, but it's not very parametric, it lacks useful constraints, it's manner of driving the solid generation is quirky, and if you modify a sketch - it does not update the solid automatically.  It works natively with a .dwg but uses an Inventor based interface, basically.

Anyone else use this?

I very much prefer a parametric modeling program for parts generation and design, rather than Autocad's typical solids modeling.  I'd /rather/ have full blown Inventor/Solidworks, but this seems to be a decent compromise without costing me any money, although it's like... Inventor LT.

The other kick in the nuts is that I can't appear to do assemblies!  pft.

So anyone have any experience/tips?  Are any of my impressions wrong or differing from your own?

Even given my complaints, it seems like quite the valuable resource to people familiar with an Inventor/Solidworks type UI for solids modeling, but work in a place with primarily Autocad, Revit, etc software, that doesn't include Inventor/Solidworks.

It is, so far, quite neutered, however.  I'm working on it though... see what I can do with it.

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
Re: Inventor Fusion
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:54:56 PM »
Well after using it for the past couple days to attempt to complete a rather simple product assembly, I've determined this is a rather buggy, cumbersome and prohibitive tool to the design process.  I spent more time trying to workaround bugs than anything, I would guess.  I also really dislike the draw and modeling tools - they lack so very, very much in the most basic of geometry that it is not even worth putting up with the programming bugs (like a bug that occurs during "save" that it's I've only had 1 file of the 7 in this assembly actually save... the rest I had to export as a DXF to not lose my work :| )

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »
...not to mention that when I open the .dwg files in Autocad, they are at a very odd scale...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 07:49:46 AM »
The above comments are why in most cases resellers do not want users to have 'demo' veersions of products.
Without some training the user gets the wrong impression of the software, and then they decide it doesn't 'work' for them and they don't buy the product based on that evaluation.

Granted Fusion is NOT inventor, however one can do assemblies in it....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 07:51:07 AM »
The features are extremely limited and do not work in a way that's effective during the design process.  I'm biased from full blown Inventor/Fusion but I'm quite capable of googling up demonstrations and guides that spell out features.