Author Topic: Civil 3D | Copy Pipe to Another Pipe Network?  (Read 7475 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Civil 3D | Copy Pipe to Another Pipe Network?
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »
Is there a built-in way to copy a given pipe from one pipe network, to another within the same drawing?

The only way I can come up with, given my limited experience with pipe networks, is to rename the source pipe network, and export selected parts using LandXML, then restore the original name of the source pipe network, and import the LandXML file.

TIA
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: Civil 3D | Copy Pipe to Another Pipe Network?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »
Nope. You've described one way if to do it if you have many to copy. Another is to just draw new pipes in the target network snapping to the existing pipes, which works fine if there are just a few.

Of course, this begs the question...why? I can't think of any time I've wanted/needed to do this (else I probably would've found a way to automate it by now :-) )

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:38:16 AM »
export original network...
merge with destination network
reimport
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:02:25 PM »
Of course, this begs the question...why?

Civil Utility group, we must use roadway alignment for profile view (need the stationing, etc.), yet all profile information is regarding proposed utility design, which requires PGL above, and existing pipe crossing at our proposed utility.

export original network...
merge with destination network
reimport

Given existing storm or sanitary pipe network in correct location and elevations... I identify the pipe(s) crossing our proposed utility's alignment, and copy them from their intersection of the proposed utility alignment, perpendicular to the roadway alignment (still part of the source network), and need to move the copied pipe from the source network to another network.

I need them in separate networks, we data reference both... As some of the correctly located pipes and structures get data referenced, and drawn in profile view using our normal styles (i.e., full structure, pipe, etc.) when they're close, or parallel to our proposed utility, whereas pipe crossings are data referenced, and drawn using our crossing style (and must also be moved to roadway alignment in order to display properly).

Unless I have completely overlooked something when creating the data references, while you can override the default parts list, but cannot change an individual pipe's style once data referenced... Hence the need for two networks.

CORRECTION: My statement above is correct in that one cannot modify an individual pipe's style via the Properties Palette (which is just dumb)... One _can_ do so via Toolspace, by expanding the appropriate pipe network's node, pipes, then at the bottom (where I display them), select the desired pipe by name, and _there_ you can change the individual pipe's style. *sigh*

Thanks for the comments/questions, guys... They helped me work through the issue. Cheers! :beer:
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."