Author Topic: Smart Dimensions?  (Read 4808 times)

Kate M

Smart Dimensions?
« on: December 12, 2003, 04:31:26 PM »
Okay, this is for LT, so don't get *too* excited...

I'd like a way to have AutoCAD automatically set the vertical alignment to "centered" for any dimension created with a leader. (We put the text for all our linear dimensions above the dimline.) This makes sense to me -- I don't have to force my leader text to go to the right place, so why do we have to for dimensions?

No lisp, obviously (but if you do have a lisp that does this, please share so I can make my co-workers jealous)...but isn't there *some* setting that might do this?

Bob Garner

Smart Dimensions?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 06:18:25 PM »
Hi Kate,

By dimensions created with a leader, do you mean like diameter dimensions?

Cheers

Bob G.

Kate M

Smart Dimensions?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 09:42:29 PM »
Yeah, or linear dimensions when the text doesn't fit between the extension lines.

Bob Garner

Smart Dimensions?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 10:33:50 AM »
Good morning, Kate,

I have ACAD LT 2003 on my home computer.  When I set Dimension/Style/Modify/Text: Text Placement: Vertical: Above, the dimension text is placed above the dimension line.  But sometimes when there is not enough room for the dimension, it places it offset above the dimension line with a leader and I have to drag the text back down to just above the dimension line.
Does all this make sense?
I really need another cup of coffee.

Bob G.

Kate M

Smart Dimensions?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 11:15:06 AM »
Not quite -- more like this:

I want the 2" dimension to default to a vertical-center placement -- as it is, I have to modify the properties to make it look right.

Bob Garner

Smart Dimensions?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 12:40:56 PM »
Hi, again,

In your dimensions settings, have you checked text placement beside the dimension line under the fit section?  Even though I have this checked on my machine, it doesn't always obey and it winds up as you've shown.  Then I have to drag it down.  This seems to be a random occurence, sometimes it's right and sometimes not.  I suppose a bug?  Nah, not in ACAD.
BTW my ACAD LT is 2002, not 2003.  That second cup of coffee helped.

Bob G.

Kate M

Smart Dimensions?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 12:55:41 PM »
No, I want it to look the way I've shown it, but I have to use the overrides to do it...basically, I want the dimensions with leaders to look like all the other leaders on my drawings...

Bob Garner

Smart Dimensions?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 02:18:32 PM »
Hmmm,

I'll play around with it some more when I go home tonight.

Bob G.

Bob Garner

Smart Dimensions?
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 09:55:08 AM »
Good morning, Kate,

I beat on my version of ACAD LT 2002 last night for a couple hours and could not make it dimension as you wish.  It's definately appears to be a bug.  My version is an upgrade and the serial number starts with 389, if that tells you anything.

Have a good day.

Bob G.

Kate M

Smart Dimensions?
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2003, 10:38:39 AM »
Yeah, that's about what I figured...maybe I'll find a wishlist to add it to.

Thanks, though. :-)