Author Topic: Searching for new MFP solutions  (Read 4203 times)

M-dub

Searching for new MFP solutions
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:50:13 AM »
We're on the hunt for a new plotter and scanner, possibly more than one of each.  I was just curious if anyone in here had recently made any purchases and whether you had any recommendations or warnings.  We're going to be looking for a minimum of 36" but I haven't made up my mind on whether we go digital / laser because we also need to print in colour, so we'd need an inkjet plotter as well.  We need to increase the speed... big time.  Our old HP 815mfp is still plugging away, but man... some of the bigger print jobs seem to take forever!

Scanning capabilities also need to be improved upon.  I'm sure some of you have seen some pretty nasty old mylars and sepias.  Drawings where half of it is super dark and the other half is really faint and hard to read.  We want to be able to make one scan and have it automagically fix all of the levels for us.  I know the technology is out there and has been for a long time.  I just thought I'd see what you folks had to say.

Thanks!

M-dub

Re: Searching for new MFP solutions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:09:43 AM »
So, I've been told by a few people in the biz that I'll have a hard time finding a PRINTER that does 11"x17".  I'm not looking for another MFP / Copy/Scan/Print jobbie... we've got one of those already.

This is in addition to the requirements we had listed above, but we're looking for a printer for the drawing office that will do 11x17 with 4 paper trays.  Those are the basic requirements but it would be nice if the new one had a mailbox and finisher to do 3-hole punching and stapling.  I'm just surprised that this would be hard to find.  I regret having gotten rid of our old HP LaserJet 8000... :(

Drafter X

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 11:22:46 AM »
I'm still clinging to my HP5000 for 11x17 LOL love that beast!
CadJockey Militia Commander

deegeecees

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:33:20 AM »
My HP9800 is an obsolete workhorse, but it gets the job done. We rarely send hard copies of anything though.

From what I remember OCE has some expensive but very robust plotter/scanners that will accomodate what your specs require.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
We still print to an 18 year old HP Laserjet 5si 870,000 prints so far ...  it's the only printer I've ever liked :)

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers  :lmao:

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »
We still print to an 18 year old HP Laserjet 5si 870,000 prints so far ...  it's the only printer I've ever liked :)

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers  :lmao:
:D
We used to have one of those!  It wouldn't surprise me if it's still in operation somewhere.

M-dub

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »
Does anyone have or is anyone familiar with a KIP 6000 or 7100?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 04:58:51 PM »
We use Kip StarPrint 6000 with scanner, output stacker (???) and interface software.    From my limited time working here, I like it.  It very fast and quiet considering it age and the amount of use it sees.  So the KIP people see it regularly.   :roll:  and it does not like the Autocad PDFs when printed directly but the interface software has an option to convert them to PDF that it likes.   

I recommend it but YMMV.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

M-dub

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 07:45:56 AM »
Thanks, Krush!
I'm trying to find some time to go have a look at one or two different models.  Been crazy busy lately, though.

Thanks again.

M-dub

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 03:30:19 PM »
Well, we saw the KIP 7100 today.  We liked it and I hope that's the one we'll end up with.

We have a little more to discuss as far as a new Inkjet goes, though.  I think it's down to HP or Canon...

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 06:07:35 PM »
We got a KIP 7700 and other than a update one time made everything wonky for a couple days it has been a good printer.