Author Topic: Does visual lisp + com work on macintosh?  (Read 8169 times)

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
Re: Does visual lisp + com work on macintosh?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 12:10:44 AM »
That is strange. Perhaps it's implemented in the ARX to save & read from some file instead (perhaps something like an INI)?
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

irneb

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 01:06:02 AM »
Another thing which I'm surprised does not work in MAC: vlax-curve-*

Especially since those functions actually work faster if you don't send them vla-objects but enames instead. That tells me they're implemented direct in ARX and if the argument contains an ActiveX object it needs to be converted. So you'd guess that it should work extremely easily in Mac ... but apparently it doesn't!  :ugly:
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

enderprime

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 01:59:49 AM »
Hi,

I'm surprised the vl-registry* functions work on Mac, as far as I know there's no registry on Mac OS.

That made me laugh too. Apparently they read/write application property list (plist) key-value pairs now, which is the closest equivalent on Mac. I guess they just didn't want to rename them..  :-o

@irneb

Agreed all around, its retarded. My best guess right now is that something in ObjectARX breaks on Mac. Autodesk was very slow to move AutoCAD over, and has stripped most of the development options now that its there. I'm very interested to see what the future will be for Mac CAD Customization, or if all those poor designers will be stuck dual-booting Windows until the end of time..
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:10:42 AM by ender.prime »

roy_043

• Water Moccasin
  • BricsCAD 18
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »
Anyhow, the acid-test would be to actually try them on a mac (or for that matter BCad on Linux) to see if they work or not.
Bricscad is introducing a system called Fast-Com to by-pass the com-dependency of lisp functions. Their goal is to implement the VL* functions in Bricscad for Linux and Mac. Because there are (speed) advantages to Fast-Com, this system is also being used in Bricscad for Windows. I don't know to what extent this project is finished, but Fast-Com was introduced during the V12 life-cycle.

By default Fast-Com is switched on, but it can switched off:
Code - Auto/Visual Lisp: [Select]
  1. (lisp$enablefastcom nil) ; Switch Fast-Com off.
  2. (lisp$enablefastcom T)   ; Switch Fast-Com on.

irneb

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »
I was actually quite surprised by BC. Even the V11 worked on Linux: http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=39158.msg445662#msg445662

Though the ActiveX objects themselves just gave nil results, at least the functions didn't just fail. And since then I've run into lots of issues trying to install V12 on a 64 bit linux (Fedora-17), will look into it when time permits again (last time I spent a week going to-and-fro).

roy_043

• Water Moccasin
  • BricsCAD 18
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 04:40:43 AM »
Even the V11 worked on Linux
It may actually be the case that Fast-Com was introduced earlier. I checked for the presence of the (lisp$enablefastcom) function (available in V12.2.18 but not in V11) and just assumed from this that Fast-Com was introduced in V12.