Author Topic: Display Theme Example  (Read 1680 times)

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
Display Theme Example
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
I'm looking for anything that might get me started creating ACA/MEP Display Themes in .NET.  I see DisplayThemeStyle, DisplayThemeRuleCollection, and DisplayThemeRuleBase in AecBaseMgd but of course the documentation is so awesome I'm overwhelmed with information and need assistance. 
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Re: Display Theme Example
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »
I'm looking for anything that might get me started creating ACA/MEP Display Themes in .NET.  I see DisplayThemeStyle, DisplayThemeRuleCollection, and DisplayThemeRuleBase in AecBaseMgd but of course the documentation is so awesome I'm overwhelmed with information and need assistance. 

Hi MexicanCustard,

Yes the documentation can be overwhelming and quite intimidating, but after a while you will start to get the hang of it, but would be glad to give you some assistance.

For starters Autodesk did such a great job in 2011 they still ship 2011 documentation with 2013, but to break it down and help understand the section "about DisplayTheme Class"

AutoCAD Architecture 2011 .NET API Reference
  DisplayTheme Class 
For a list of all members of this type, see DisplayTheme Members.
System.Object
   MarshalByRefObject
      DisposableWrapper
         RXObject
            Drawable
               DBObject
                  Entity
                     Curve
                        Entity
                           Geo
                              DisplayTheme
  public class DisplayTheme : Geo

As you can see from reading the documentation the class is called DisplayTheme.
It took me a while to grasp that one, but luckily they did a great job keeping consistent format for explaining classes inside the API.
So once you get a handle on one of them the rest is a piece of cake.

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:58:25 AM »
WOW! Thanks for clearing that up Jeff.  There's a future for you at Autodesk Development. ;-)

Can you comment on one of the many examples they give you in this class documentation, please. :-o

Now where to stick the DisplayTheme class?  Maybe where I want ADN to stick this documentation.

Anyone else?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:06:15 AM by MexicanCustard »

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:38:20 PM »
Great,
I thought I remembered something with DisplayThemes, and could not find it with a quick search and thought I must of just thought about it in the past.

To be fair ADN does not have control on what resources will be used for documentation.

I probably should not post this but,
He probably would never say it publicly but at AU I talked to ADN team member and he thought one huge problem with API was the documentation.