Author Topic: Reactor causes fatal error.  (Read 10914 times)

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
Re: Reactor causes fatal error.
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
I was very tempted to ignore this thread, not wanting to get involved in the somewhat heated discussions, but having seen these last two posts, I felt I needed to offer my viewpoint - take it or leave it.

jeez you guy's can't be this stupid.  You CAN'T use ANY form of COMMAND in a reactor.

Stop.

Still the same thing.

No, this is not the same thing.

Of course you can use command with a reactor running in the drawing - otherwise if a reactor was running, how else would you use AutoCAD!? If this were the case, command reactors would be redundant - if you cannot use a command whilst a reactor is running, then what exactly are they meant to monitor?

Indeed you cannot any form of command within the callback function of a reactor.

But from what I understand of this thread, the OP is remarking on the fact that AutoCAD will crash when the new command-s function is used independently of the reactor callback function whilst a reactor is running.

This would appear to be an overisight when Autodesk implemented the command-s function.

My 2c.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:33:17 AM by Lee Mac »

mr_nick

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2012, 09:27:38 AM »
Thankyou Lee. At last, somebody is actually reading what I've been trying to get across. I know commands cannot be used INSIDE reactors but they should be able to run ALONGSIDE reactors.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2012, 09:44:14 AM »

Indeed you cannot any form of command within the callback function of a reactor.

I believe that both James and I said this?

Quote from: jbuzbee
You CAN'T use ANY form of COMMAND in a reactor.
Quote from: TimSpangler
I remember reading somewhere (not being a master of reactors my self) that you can not use "command" in a reactor?

But from what I understand of this thread, the OP is remarking on the fact that AutoCAD will crash when the new command-s function is used independently of the reactor callback function whilst a reactor is running.

Just commenting because the title clearly says "Reactor causes fatal error".  Just trying to get to the bottom of the issue.  If you are running the mvsetup from the callback then it is being used IN a reactor, YES?

Maybe no one really understands what the OP is actually asking.?  :oops:
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2012, 09:49:11 AM »
I understood the OP was running MVSETUP independently outside of any callback function, and AutoCAD was crashing because the reactor was conflicting with the command-s function that is used within the latest version of the MVSETUP command.

I realise that both you and James commented on the fact that commands may not be used within a reactor callback function, and I support this fact, however, I was disputing your comment regarding the use of commands outside of the reactor callback function:

Command is NOT being used within the reactor. Command-s is being used in a drawing which has a reactor running. Doesn't matter what the reactor is actually doing - just it's actual presence is enough to cause the crash.

Still the same thing.

In any case, since this appears to be a poor implementation of the new command-s function, I very much doubt that this issue can be resolved without Autodesk providing a fix.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:53:16 AM by Lee Mac »

mr_nick

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
To clarify...

At the point when the original post was made, I did not know the exact cause of the crash. All I knew for sure was that when I used MVSETUP with no reactor loaded, AutoCAD did not crash. When I had a reactor running in the background and used MVSETUP AutoCAD crashed hence me stating that the 'reactor causes fatal error'.

In between times I then discovered that it was actually the interaction between command-s and command reactors that was the cause of the error. I have stated in all my posts that I was not using any command WITHIN my reactor - as shown with the very basic reactor I posted in the original post. I have also pointed out that reactors posted by two other people also trigger the exact same error so the fault was nothing whatsover to do with my possibly inept attempt at coding a reactor.

So, regardless of how safe you feel you have or have not coded your reactor code, MVSETUP will crash AutoCAD if you are using 2012 or 2013.

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »
Tim, I'm out.  You have a commanding grip on this issue, and as I'm out of this business (and just wanting to lend a helping hand - not expecting to get blasted by a noob - I offered a complete example.) I'll leave the rest to you.  Thanks.

Goodbye
James Buzbee
Windows 8

mr_nick

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2012, 09:58:12 AM »
Am I that noob?

If so, I admit that yes I am a noob but regardless of that, the example you provided still causes AutoCAD to crash when MVSETUP is used on AutoCAD 2012. I was blasting nobody, simply trying to get my point across.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »
I'm running 2011 so I can't test this as "command-s" doesn't exist.

So if you open the mvsetup.lsp (save a copy of the original) and replace "command-s" with "command" does it solve the problem?
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »
I'm running 2010 so I can't test this as "command-s" doesn't exist.

So if you open the mvsetup.lsp (save a copy of the original) and replace "command-s" with "command" does it solve the problem?

Page #1 -

If I edit the MVSETUP file to use command rather than command-s then no fatal error is encountered.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
Thanks  :lol:

So there was no ? in this post, just an observation? information?  :wink:
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

mr_nick

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Thanks  :lol:

So there was no ? in this post, just an observation? information?  :wink:

It started out as a question and I stumbled across the trigger afer my own observations. It just gost lost among all the posturing.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »
It just gost lost among all the posturing.

There was posturing?  huh, didn't notice   :wink:

It happens (too often) there are those who need to prove that they know something about something.

Lessons learned.  :kewl:
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro