Author Topic: Create USFoot elevation surface from Metric DEM file  (Read 9103 times)

sdunn

• Newt
Create USFoot elevation surface from Metric DEM file
« on: June 13, 2012, 08:27:56 PM »
Is there a way to do this on import?  The resultant surface from a normal import is translated, but the elevations are still in meters.

Does anyone have a utility that can convert the units of a DEM file externally?

drizzt

Re: Create USFoot elevation surface from Metric DEM file
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 12:26:12 AM »
I am pretty sure you can tell map to take care of that for you upon import. I use DEM's often and I don't remember that being a problem. Let me take a look real quick

drizzt

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 12:37:43 AM »
Hmm.. I guess it is possilble I have always gotten DEM's with the elvations in feet and not meters. I know you can go here http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/ and get NED's of anywhere in the US.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »

If I can do it directly in Carlson, you KNOW there has to be a way to do it in AutoCad. Keep looking. it's there somewhere, I bet'cha!!

drizzt

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 12:58:48 AM »
Ok, I had to test this to make sure before I gave you advise. If you have your drawing coordinate zone set up correctly for the area of your mapping / design, then when you create a surface from DEM, it will do the conversion for you. The DEM has its coordinate and units recorded in it, so Civil 3D just needs to do the math for you. It just needs to know where to start, thus, you need to have you units and coordinate zone set up.

If you still have problems i would like to test the DEM if you want to post it.

sdunn

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »
Civil 3d will transform and scale the horizonal coordinates just fine.  The elevations are not being scaled to the drawing unit designation.  I have also tried setting the insunits variable to feet with no luck.

The ASCII DEM data is located here:

direct:
http://data.tnris.org/data/Elevation/DEM_3296.zip

site:
http://www.tnris.org/data-categories?type=quad&name=Addison&quicktabs_maps_data=1

I am importing the 30 meter file into a foot drawing with a zone setting of TX83-NCF.

drizzt

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 07:34:35 PM »
I'm going to give this a shot in Civil, if that doesn't work, I will convert to your zon with US foot both horizontal and vertical in GM.

drizzt

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »
Looks like the dem is to big to post

drizzt

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 09:13:09 PM »
I am pretty sure that when I imported the dem, it came back with feet in elevation units. I am showing an elevation range from 70.16' to 266.16'. Do you know what the elvation range should be?

drizzt

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »
Ok, my first import into Civil did pull in meters. It reads as feet, but looking at the elavations, it is actually meters. I used the transformation tab in the drawing settings and that didn't help. I do have the dem converted using GM, but I can't post it. Do you have a way for me to get it to you?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 10:36:54 PM »
I will be looking at this later today in Abu Dhabi, pardon the time delay.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 03:35:13 AM »
Ok, my first import into Civil did pull in meters. It reads as feet, but looking at the elavations, it is actually meters. I used the transformation tab in the drawing settings and that didn't help. I do have the dem converted using GM, but I can't post it. Do you have a way for me to get it to you?

I have the same problem with DEM files which are set in centimeters, they are treated in C3D as meters. I'm not sure if that is a bug, if there is a solution or how I can solve this. Till now there is not much I can do with DEM files.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

sdunn

• Newt
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »
drizzt, what tool did you use to scale the DEM elevations?  I am more interested in the method than getting the file converted.  This is not the only DEM file I am working with.  There are several work-a-rounds that I can do, but they are all convoluted and time consuming.  There are also a lot of crashes involved as most of the DEM files are pretty large.

Cathy

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »
I think if you just create a grid surface, then add the DEM file to the surface, C3D is smart enough to do the conversion for you.  At least is was that smart in 2008.  ;)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »
Maybe I'm overlooking something since I don't use DEM's very often, but it appears there is pertinent data missing from these files.