Author Topic: PROJECTNAME Variable - How do you use it?  (Read 9338 times)

caddcop

PROJECTNAME Variable - How do you use it?
« on: December 29, 2011, 01:59:51 PM »
Can someone show me an example of how they use the Projectname variable. Can you also elaborate on any pros and cons of its use. TIA

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: PROJECTNAME Variable - How do you use it?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 02:01:37 PM »
from Help:

Assigns a project name to the current drawing.

Used when an xref, image, or DWF underlay file is not found in its original path. The project name points to a section in the registry that can contain one or more search paths for each project name defined. Project names and their search directories are created from the Files tab of the Options dialog box.

Project names make it easier for users to manage xrefs, images, and DWF underlay when drawings are exchanged between customers, or if users have different drive mappings to the same location on a server.

If the xref, image, or DWF underlay file is not found at the original path, the project paths associated with the project name are searched. If the xref, image, or DWF underlay file is not found there, the AutoCAD search path is searched.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

caddcop

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 02:48:26 PM »
But how do YOU use it - or do you?
We have many many projects. I cannot imagine listing all of them in one profile.
And how easy is it for people to use?
Can they use it to find a folder from which to attach an XREF? When you do not work on the same project every day, when you need to attach an XREF, do you always have to browse from the last folder accessed to the project folder.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 02:56:32 PM »
But how do YOU use it - or do you?
We have many many projects. I cannot imagine listing all of them in one profile.
And how easy is it for people to use?
Can they use it to find a folder from which to attach an XREF? When you do not work on the same project every day, when you need to attach an XREF, do you always have to browse from the last folder accessed to the project folder.
To be honest, MOST users/administrators DO NOT use this variable.
For a couple of reasons, some have been locked out by their administrator from adding or browsing to paths on the server from withn OPTIONS.

This is the folder or directory that AUTOCAD uses to locate the XREF's or images, it has any impact on the search folder when you attempt to attach same to the active file.

I think most work around this by using RELATIVE pathing for XREFS, and Image files.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »
The best use of projectname var is to add "project specific" search paths to your standard search paths.  That way if you had 3 projects you were working on, Project 'A' could have the standard paths + ProjectA_XrefsPaths.

Project 'B' could have stand paths + ProjBPath + TitleblockPathFromClient + OtherExamplePath

Project 'C' could have just stand paths + CustomTitleBlockForProjC path

Now you can open a dwg from any of the 3 projects above, and that dwg will search the correct folders for its resources.  An example of REALLY-BAD-FILE-NAMING would be to name all your basefiles BASEFILE.  (I know thats bad, but hear me out).  In project A, you could attach 'BASEFILE' and it could find the project specific one, even though there are 2 more files with the same name (jproject B and C versions)
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 09:53:05 PM »
I've used it to quickly set up a laptop for taking a project out into the field, without the user having to use Reference Manager to remap *all* of the XREFs in the project, and without me having to mirror the entire project contents with Offline Files.

Its difficult to use in day-to-day use - its usually better to set up the project XREFs "properly" in the expected locations, whether relative or absolute.  Save it for those one-offs such as a client sending a bunch of XREF'd drawings you only need to look at for a day or two and don't want to bother with remapping them all.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 08:58:37 AM »
I also use it for tracking drawings on a spreadsheet.  But that is a custom app I wrote.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

caddcop

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »
It sounds like the best use for it is on the occasional project that started somewhere else, or where files from a sub are used and the XREF paths are not consistent between the two offices.

danallen

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 05:47:23 PM »
I use in our office to make sure xrefs are found in various subfolders. It also allows me to take projects home and have separate paths for my local drive instead of trying to mimic my office server path.

I configure for each job:
Code: [Select]
(XYZ_SetProjectPath "ACME" "C:\\Data\\dla\\Dla-Projects\\COMPANY\\ACME\\Drawings;C:\\Data\\dla\\Dla-Projects\\COMPANY\\ACME\\Drawings\\Blocks;C:\\Data\\dla\\Dla-Projects\\COMPANY\\ACME\\Drawings\\Incoming\\Current;C:\\Data\\dla\\Dla-Projects\\COMPANY\\ACME\\Drawings\\Plot")

;;; from MP at theswamp.org
(defun-q XYZ_SetProjectPath ( Name Path )
    ;;  if it exists it overwrites the path,
    ;;  otherwise it creates the entry
    ;;  path is a semi colon delimited string
    ;;  no hand holding, caller's responsibility
    ;;  to use properly
    (vla-setprojectfilepath
        (vla-get-files
            (vla-get-preferences
                (vlax-get-acad-object)
            )
        )
        Name
        Path
    )
)

caddcop

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 01:30:57 PM »
I use something very similar to this for the MicroStation side of our CADD system.  It is somewhat easier there because Bentley uses path, folder and file variables for just about everything and even allow you to create your own and use it anywhere you want.
On the Autodesk side, my experience level is much lower so while I can think up ways to reduce issues, I need help with someone pointing out how these things might be used in a real world situation.

sinc

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 12:08:46 AM »
I used to use it.  Found it too problematic, especially when moving from one yearly incompatible release to the next (which has becomes Autodesk's standard practice).

Finally drifted out-of-use...  Found it much more beneficial to just put the base drawings for our major projects in one location, and use "Full Path" to XREF them in.

This is an example of one of things that was initially a "good idea" on Autodesk's part, but then they dropped it before it was fully-realized, and the whole thing collapsed...