Author Topic: Turning a 3D drawing into a 2D drawing  (Read 10380 times)

nivuahc

Turning a 3D drawing into a 2D drawing
« on: December 10, 2003, 02:45:52 PM »
I work in an electrical engineering firm and we get a lot of drawings from architects that we base our work on. Once in a while we get a drawing that is completely 3D (like the school I got yesterday) and, while I can still work with it, I was wondering if anyone knew of any utility to, essentially, change this 3D drawing into a 2D drawing.

I just need to be able to take what I see and eliminate everything else. Preferably it would also put everything on the same elevation too. :D

Why not ask for the moon when you're asking, right? :P

This is a 10MB drawing and it takes forever for our slow-poke machines to load a single drawing. A typical school like this drawn, instead, in 2D would usually be about 0.5MB

That's what I'm aiming for.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Or do I just deal with it?

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 02:50:24 PM »
use the force luke

daron

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 02:51:10 PM »
Flatten anyone? It's an express tool. You might use overkill afterwards.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 02:59:08 PM »
And if he doesn'y have Express Tools, tbaug.com is still up and running. Plus I've got 8 or 9 of those VIP cd's around here somewhere.  BUT the real info he needs ia awaiting his review under the MODS thread.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 03:04:16 PM »
ask dents fat ass cow to sit on your computer  :lol:

nivuahc

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 03:04:37 PM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
BUT the real info he needs ia awaiting his review under the MODS thread.

Duly noted sir!

That last one is true for sure. Kinda makes me jealous and proud all at the same time :D

daron

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 03:06:16 PM »
baa-dum-bum pshshshsh! Thank you folks, give it up for Dan.

*chirp-chirp*

t-bear

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 04:46:22 PM »
EMT Software has a series of routines called the survival kit.  In it is a routine called Makeit2D...works a treat!  will give you any or all of the standard orthographic and iso views... Not too pricey either....
Been using it for a while to convert our 3D for "flat-worlders" like you and like it a lot.
Take a look on their website...might be a "demo". :wink:

pmvliet

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 05:27:26 PM »
T-Bear,
will that flatten ADT objects?

Pieter

t-bear

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 05:32:22 PM »
Pieter...
Don't know.  Never tried (whuts a adt ob-jekt?) I'm a mechanical type...not an arch-ie...
I don't have anything here but "vanilla" 2000i.  Does anyone know if an ADT object will display in 2000i?  If so, I'll try running this if someone would send me an ADT dwg.  Will they even OPEN in "vanilla"?

daron

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 06:14:01 PM »
You want flat ADT objects? Try saveas 2000 from 2004. JK. That's an awful way. With an ADT drawing, in world plan view explode the objects. They'll be flat for sure. It works for me. ADT draws in 2D until you rotate the view. If you explode the 2D you get 2D. If you explode the 3D, you get dumb 3D.

pmvliet

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2003, 12:07:11 PM »
We do work with other consultants who do Design Development type drawings and they seem to like ADT, so then the owner hands us all these ADT files and wants us to create construction documents. Well we don't use ADT and it makes updating the model a PIA. Then electrical will grumble because the ceiling grid is really 10'-0" above the floor and when they put in lights, switch's and wiring, it can go all over the place because they will use snaps to snap to things that are at different elevations.

If we had all decent cadd people that could deal with 3D that would help or if my company took the plunge and loaded ADT on all the systems that would help as well.

It is a no win situation in any way we deal with this type of stuff.

pieter

daron

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 01:01:54 PM »
Nah! It's a win/win situation when you make your upper management realize that if you had ADT, you'd be more productive by the mere fact that you wouldn't have to ask how to flatten them. Plus, you'd keep the business of the ADT types that send you there drawings. Where's the no win situation?

Hangman

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2003, 01:52:34 PM »
t-bear,  2000i does view ADT Objects.  There is an extensive library in 2000i that you can install 3d objects.   Drop in a refr, a desk, a toilet, it's great, takes seconds where drawing the stuff takes minutes more.

When you use flatten with ADT objects, it takes the object from the base point and pushes it to the zero plane.   You still have the object, it's just at the zero plane.   So if you have windows in a wall, they will all be on the floor.   :lol:

As was mentioned, to my knowledge at the moment, (because I don't use 2D stuff much at all if I don't have to) the best way to make a 3D into a 2D is to 'saveas' a previous format, R14 for example.  The problem is in creation of the file, some lines just don't connect very well, although after the conversion, open the file, use the flatten, purge and then save it as a standard dwg format of your choice and you should have the 2D file.

nivuahc

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2003, 03:18:10 PM »
Quote from: pmvliet
We do work with other consultants who do Design Development type drawings and they seem to like ADT, so then the owner hands us all these ADT files and wants us to create construction documents. Well we don't use ADT and it makes updating the model a PIA. Then electrical will grumble because the ceiling grid is really 10'-0" above the floor and when they put in lights, switch's and wiring, it can go all over the place because they will use snaps to snap to things that are at different elevations.

If we had all decent cadd people that could deal with 3D that would help or if my company took the plunge and loaded ADT on all the systems that would help as well.

It is a no win situation in any way we deal with this type of stuff.

pieter

Ahh, but if I had a boss who wasn't the cheapest of the cheap we might actually have ADT.

I have ADT but I'm not sharing. :)

ML

ADT in 2000
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004, 11:42:10 AM »
Hi T-Bear

I would say yes, I use the ADT blocks a lot and I can open + view them in   2000. Now, I had a bit of a problem with 2004, I then download The ADT 2004 Object Enablers at Autodesk and now I can use these blocks in 2004 as well.

I can even Render them in 3D in 2004 but I am still trying to sort that out in 2000 but I would assume you would need the object enablers there as well.

If you go to Autodesk, - Object enablers, you can download Mechanical Desktop enablers as well, pretty cool stuff

Mark

deegeecees

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2004, 01:23:03 PM »
Try this:
1. Create a new layout
2. Create a viewport
3. Type solprof at the command line
4. follow the prompts

t-bear

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2004, 01:49:42 PM »
This works fine if you are willing to process one view at a time (and wait forever, it seems!) but for multiple views, all in one shot, in my humble opinion, nothing beats Makeit2D from the EMT Survivors Kit.  You can pick any or all of the 6 orthographic and 4 isometric views, turn hidden lines off or on, and that's just for starters.  A great little suite, and I don't own stock (DAMN!)

deegeecees

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2004, 01:59:11 PM »
I kind of figured there was such a thing out there, but if you don't have any money, solprof is there for you.

I'm grabbing that utility when (if) I get a job.

t-bear

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2004, 02:47:08 PM »
You won't regret it, Amigo!  There used to be a shareware ver. of this but I'm unable to find it right now....the full montie is just under $300.00 US

hyposmurf

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 08:22:06 AM »
Not into too much 3D work yet,but Ive come across this command called SOLPROF.Can change your view from 3D to 2D,but I have feeling your just wanted to have a 2D drawing to work with not a 3D looking 2D.