Author Topic: plotted tif image varies  (Read 7761 times)

csgoh

• Newt
plotted tif image varies
« on: April 24, 2012, 12:32:28 AM »
Just started to use acad2009 x64 (win7 home premium) bit and tyring to migrate from map2004  (win xp pro os) which I am more familiar.
Just plotted a copy of my plan and found that the quality between the 2 plots varies.
The one plotted using map2004 is clearer and sharper and lighter as compared to the one plotted using acad2009 which is darker, fuzzy and blurry.
Use the same plotter and lineweights and ctb files. Am I missing something?
thank you

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: plotted tif image varies
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 03:04:16 AM »
check two things

Plot Quality and or
in Options
OLE Plot quality
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

csgoh

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 04:05:25 AM »
thanks.
checked the system variable to be the same for
olequality = 3
olestartup=0
olehide=0
oleframe=2.

how do you check the plot quality? could you pls show me? the help section explain that it got to do with the hpgl setting. any further help is much appreciated.
thanks

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:14:34 AM »
enter the plot command, or use Page Setup manager
and see attached image
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

csgoh

• Newt
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 02:42:31 AM »
thanks,
the quality variable is also the same for both acad.
anything that I have missed.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 03:30:19 AM »
I think it's something I missed...you are using different drivers on each system
I would go back and remove the one that is giving poor results, and try another one
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

csgoh

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 06:05:12 AM »
i install acad09 in the same computer with acad05 win xp pro os.
 the plotted tif image also differ in quality. acad05 is sharper and clearer whereas acad09 is darker and blurer
thus i can conclude that it should not be a plotter driver problem. any further help is much appreciated.

csgoh

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:03:10 AM »
any help is much appreciated??
tq

KewlToyZ

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:49:14 AM »
Have you setup your printer using the Windows System driver in 2009?
This is different than it was with 2004.
I remember going through and setting up plotting significantly different in 2007, 2008, 2009 than it was in 2004 version.
Your image settings for the plot quality depending on the system driver could be different.
They could have different OLE resolution settings as 150 dpi instead of 300 dpi.

csgoh

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 04:46:14 AM »
i downloaded the hp designjet 500 from hp.com to setup my plottter.
do you mean that i need to setup using the windows system driver instead of the one from hp? if so how to go about it. would very much appreciate if you could tell me the steps. tq

KewlToyZ

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »
Its pretty strange going through the first time, but yes, you use the Sytem ADI Printer to address the networked version of it. You need the plotter to be attached to a network print server instead of a local version of the driver, otherwise you will be manually correcting the users fallible changes to the driver instead of issues as a central process in a production environment.

Of course DWG to PDF is a stand alone driver too, but using the System Printer was my most stable direction in the Add Plotter Wizard. I setup an individual dwg & dwt file for each paper size layout on the network to import for every publish and every layout template. I had to retrain everyone to use imported page setups and purge the old page setups. It led to a much more predictable plotting environment even when they used a .Plot. If you retain old page setups, you run into dead time with every file looking around the network for the printer when opening the file. If the page setup isn't found locally it looks on the network. Use a default like DWG to PDF which can be much simpler to control especially in a multi office environment. You can save that as the local driver to the network used by every workstation and office because hardware can vary too easily.

Initial setup was pain staking but once its done, it is reuseable and stable as well as predictable. Make sure you are using the networked version of the plotter driver in the setup. Local versions of the driver will just drive you nuts.

You will have to make sure you save all of the preferences in the page setups, driver, and PMP files. Network those settings for every workstation in a networked profile. It sounds more complicated than it is. Get people to adopt work spaces and save them locally. The profile can involve some preferences like right click options, MBUTTONPAN, etc... but over all drivers and fonts are much more easily addressed in a network location using mapped drives in Windows.

If this is your responsibility to control and maintain for everyone, ask for two PC's to use and two separate Active directory logins for Windows. One as an Admin, and one as a regular user. Your run all of the tests as an Admin. Then test again as a regular user to understand the specifics of your plotting environment. Network permissions can cause trouble as much as the driver setup. Once you get it stable it works from version 2007 through 2013. Minor adjustments are either ctb or stb controlled base dupon your layer standards and standard drawing templates used.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:44:02 PM by KewlToyZ »

csgoh

• Newt
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 10:40:09 AM »
i am not using network plotter at all. i use standalone computer to plotter so network issues shouldnt be a problem at all. another issue i noted is that when i plot out in acad09 the white background is ploted black and black wordings become become white. this is driving me nuts. any further help much appreciated. tq

Cathy

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 03:04:04 PM »
You are using 2 computers and 2 operating systems?  I'm not sure the problem is in Autocad.  Perhaps the plotter has different settings in the 2 operating systems?

csgoh

• Newt
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 03:59:30 AM »
I have used a computer with win xp pro with acad 05 and acad09 installed and plotted a sample. the tif image plotted differs in quality.
so for testing purpose only, i have used this same computer to plot using acad 05 and acad 09 direct plotting from comp to plotter - no network at all
 also use another computer with win 7 home premium for testing. the plotted copy also differs in quality.
appreciate further help.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 01:38:25 PM »
you are using different plotter drivers because of and due to the mixed OS environment
as you are not using network plotter; the likely answer is:

accept that the output will be different
or find a way to standardize your printer drivers
Be your Best

Michael Farrell