Author Topic: Inserting .PDFs - Something has changed.  (Read 3812 times)

craigr

Inserting .PDFs - Something has changed.
« on: March 02, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »
We used to import .bmp or .jpg files into our AutoCAD 2008LT. But that became more and more problematic, and now when we do, the image refuses to print!! It DOES show up on the sreen, but will not print.

So, we switched to importing them as a .pdf instead. Well, this worked fine - for a while. NOW, when we insert the .pdf as an OLE, the resolution both on screen and printed is MUCH less. It is almost useless to import them. This is from a .pdf that looks fine when opened in Adobe.

Something obviously must have changed, but I can't think of what it could be. And, it does it on more than one workstation. So, I wouldn't think it was CAD Settings.

Now that I think of it, we ARE scanning it on a different copier / scanner. - But isn't a .pdf a .pdf?

craigr

Dinosaur

Re: Inserting .PDFs - Something has changed.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:38:13 PM »
We had similar problems with our Oce' and HP a few years ago at my old company.  I think it was a licensing issue between Adobe and the plotter / printer manufacturers.  I do not recall if we ever reached a solution.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »
It can also apply to the DPI of the PDF, as well as the document dimensions of the PDF.  For example, I've had people print an A1 size drawing to A3 PDF or take an A3 print and scan it to A3 PDF, then try to print the PDF as A1 with horrific quality.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

craigr

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
We have 'played' with Resolution & Size with no changes. AND, we also scanned on 2 different copiers. They ARE two different models, but they are the same Manufacturer.

I'm thinking it IS something as described above with manfacturer & adobe or ???

craigr

diarmuid

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:36:23 AM »
just my two cents.  AutoCAD uses dwf, which is the Autodesk equivalent of PDF.  Obviously Adobe PDF format is much more popular and has stolen the lead on Autodesk in that instance.  Autodesk are not interested in supporting PDF.  It is just the shear popularity of PDF is what is making them (Autodesk) providing the support now.  and even at that it is not great quality.  From a business perspective i suppose the want top push their own product (dwf).  Dont expect the support of PDF from Autodesk to improve anytime soon.  I would concentrate on fixing the jpg-bmp import issue if i were you.  Alos bear in mind there are many packages out there Such as: "http://www.verypdf.com/pdf2tif/index.htm"  that will convert pdf drawings to bmp format.

Hope this helps. :-)
If you want to win something run the 100m, if you want to experience something run a marathon

danallen

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »
We're on an old acad that doesn't support PDF, so we convert all PDF files to TIF, colorspace "monochrome" so that it keeps the file size down. 400 dpi usually works well
insert as a raster image, not OLE. I've never touched OLE again since r14 and it would corrupt our drawings.

Dan

TheCaprican

• Mosquito
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »
If you want to insert PDF files as Autocad entities (ie. Lines & Polylines) try VectPDF. It's free. http://sourceforge.net/projects/vectpdf/
It's an autolisp front end to Pstoedit (& GPL ghostscript). All open source & 100% free.

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 05:46:29 PM »
Why not use PDFAttach? We find this works very well for our needs.

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 05:47:01 PM »
If you want to insert PDF files as Autocad entities (ie. Lines & Polylines) try VectPDF. It's free. http://sourceforge.net/projects/vectpdf/
It's an autolisp front end to Pstoedit (& GPL ghostscript). All open source & 100% free.
I just looked at this and it is 32 Bit Only :(. Oh well, since AutoDesk is now including Raster Design in the Infrastructure Suite, it probably won't be as much of an issue for us.

TheCaprican

• Mosquito
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 10:05:59 PM »
I just looked at this and it is 32 Bit Only :(. Oh well, since AutoDesk is now including Raster Design in the Infrastructure Suite, it probably won't be as much of an issue for us.

A more fully featured version is in the making, including a 64 bit version. Pstoedit is available in a 64 bit version currently. It's just a matter of time...

TheCaprican

• Mosquito
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 02:51:49 AM »
I finally got around to finishing a version to run on AutoCad 32 & 64 bit.

VectPDF is a lisp front end to Pstoedit3.50 (& GPL Ghostscript 9.04).
It will insert vector PDF files as Autocad entities (ie. Lines & Polylines) without leaving AutoCad. Just select a file & insertion point.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vectpdf/

Open source & 100% FREE.
I welcome any comments or suggestions.