Author Topic: Need a dimension finding prog.  (Read 15314 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Need a dimension finding prog.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2003, 10:16:43 AM »
Quote from: Craig
Mark, What you might want to do is change your permission settings in each category to where a guest CAN read the post but can do nothing else until they log in.

When/If this place gets bigger then we might, I just hate making it to restrictive for new-comers.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2003, 10:18:50 AM »
Quote from: pochrist
OK sorry about my lax posting practice

No problem, I have done it myself. :D

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2003, 10:34:42 AM »
As we all have..
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

SMadsen

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2003, 02:47:28 PM »
Interesting problem. Took a swing at it and wrote a little routine to find dimensions with certain measurements. A fuzz factor can be applied to search a range of measurement:

Files DIMFIND.LSP and DIMFIND.DCL at http://www.smadsen.com/files/

If you download and use it, please report any bugs (as I'm sure there are some!)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2003, 02:58:20 PM »
Aw..heck...ya beat me to it...

SMadsen

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2003, 03:09:50 PM »
Of course I did .. you were going to use VBA, right?  :lol:  :lol:

Already found a bug, though. It's a no go in paper space with no active viewports.

pochrist

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2003, 03:14:56 PM »
Ok I gave it try and it looks real nice,  :D but I can't get it too work,  :cry: (as in "find" any of my Dims) The Dialog loads fine and I fill in the info, but it comes up with 0" matches. Does it automatically scan the dwg for a matching Dim? It doesn't ask me to select anything so I'm guessing thats why. Also does the dim value have to be entered in decimal only or can I mix them. (3'-3.625") or (39.625) We use Archtectural Units so it would be easier not to have convert them manually. Like I said it looks real professional, I just seem to be having problems. Btw if it matters I'm useing Acad 2004 vanilla. Thanks alot. :)

Keb don't give up yet, I'd like to see what you could whip up with VBA. :wink:

SMadsen

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2003, 03:29:32 PM »
Good question. I opened up one of those sample drawings that uses Arch. units and went "Huh?"

I always forget that some people use that 4'-3 2/16" stuff so that should definately be looked into. Thanks for the feed back.

Would you prefer to have a pick button to choose a dimension in order to provide the measurement?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2003, 03:39:53 PM »
Ok, I won't give up...

pochrist

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2003, 05:38:11 PM »
SMadsen
Would you prefer to have a pick button to choose a dimension in order to provide the measurement?

You know I didn't even think of that,  :o but now that you mention it, it would be much easier than trying to type it in (I tend to get the format wrong and then have to re-type it again) :lol:  that would be a fool proof way of getting exactly what i need.  :P
 I like the ability to scan the matched items and then select the one to Zoom to. Thanks for all the work you've done :D

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2003, 05:41:07 PM »
>that would be a fool proof way of getting exactly what i need.

And probably the same can be said for the programmer<g>

SMadsen

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2003, 05:41:24 PM »
Try go to the link above .. the files are updated.

pochrist

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2003, 10:59:13 PM »
Tested the routine and it works as promised, but... :oops:  (sorry for the But - it's legit though) the Zoom to option, well,  zooms off to the far right of my dwg in model space, not on the selected Dim. If you want to give me a place to upload or an E-mail Add and i'll send you a dwg of what I'm doing and you could see exactly what I see. Let me say again I really appreciate all the time you've put into this in such a short amount of time, it really is a nice routine. Thanks again. :)

SMadsen

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2003, 03:51:35 AM »
Thanks pochrist, I appreciate the feedback. Don't be sorry for any 'buts', please. This was written in a few hours and should be considered a draft. Now comes the tricky part which is to test it and adjust it to all situations :)

For instance, the problem that you point out is mostly likely due to the fact that it was used in a UCS. It zooms by finding the WCS bounding box of each object. Naturally, it has to be converted to the current UCS in order to zoom correctly.

To answer your previous question, it doesn't ask you to select anything because it uses the measurement that you give it to filter out those dimensions that match. It can easily be adjusted to only search in a specified area, though.

By the way, do you see any problems with the units? I'm not used to imperial units so it's much easier to have you test that part.

I'll see if some free time comes up today to build in the WCS/UCS conversions.

pochrist

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2003, 07:24:28 AM »
By the way, do you see any problems with the units? I'm not used to imperial units so it's much easier to have you test that part.

No, they seem to work find although I'll change my units to something else and see if it has any problems, if I see something funny I'll let you know. TIA