Author Topic: QLEADER settings  (Read 5967 times)

hyposmurf

QLEADER settings
« on: February 12, 2005, 08:50:17 AM »
Do you have prompt for width set and what do you normally set your width to for each drawing scale?I release that the width is also dependant on where the text is being placed in the drawing,but thought users might find that certain widths usually looked best in certain scale drawings.
Also when creating leaders do you try to line the notes up for a number of leaders or just place them where they best suit?Ive often seen drawings that look like some kid has scribbled over them,from over use of leaders that stretch across drawings.Some of you have started using numbers instead when a drawing calls for alot of notation.
Just trying to get a feel of how others use the their leaders.

hudster

• Gator
QLEADER settings
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 11:53:35 AM »
whenever I place a leader on a drawing, the text is always always attached to the leader.
and I always try to place the text in a clear area of the drawing, so sometimes the leaders stretch across the drawing, but I try to keep the distance to a minimum.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Dinosaur

QLEADER settings
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 11:56:02 AM »
I do mostly subdivisiion design at present and do not mess with the width option at all.  Frankly, I was so happy to be able to force the left justification which eliminates that choice that I started keeping it that way as default changing only to make a generic one-line note that I copy and edit.

Generally, our plans are so busy, we are happy if the notes have ANY place to fit.  The basic rule is to put them where they are most readable and it is clear what they are referring to.  If something has to give, I will let some of the text overwrite linework but only with very careful placement.  Sometimes a longer than desirable leader may work better and I will do that instead.  I have NEVER been forced into my option of last resort of crossing leader lines.

I started using autocad with a structural engineering firm that was just transitioning from all hand drafting.  Their convention for detatils forced all notes into a 2" strip to the right of the detail.  If you were carefull in the order of the notes this usually worked OK, but I was frequently unhappy with the clutter that was forced.

The idea of numbering reference notes is a good idea under many conditions.  As long as you are CERTAIN that the drawing with the reference note will not be orphaned from its notes this convention works well.  It is useless for my current application because partial copies of plan sheets can be distributed at any time to builders.  Unless someone knows the required notes are not were they always have been they don't think to get the note area as well.  NOTE:  I know this could be solved by no longer issuing partial plans, but office policy is to charge a fee for a full plan that the builders don't want to pay.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
QLEADER settings
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 02:17:51 PM »
This is my usual, 2 types of leader shown.
I do try to align to the point where the result is pleasing.
http://theswamp.org/lilly_pond/cab/Wall%20Sections.pdf?nossi=1
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

hyposmurf

QLEADER settings
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 05:23:42 PM »
Those curved leaders really do look weird. :) .Its good to just see what others do.Maybe just simple leaders, but have been wondering if I can make slight adustiments to the settings to improve my work.Maybe things Ive missed.

hudster

• Gator
QLEADER settings
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 10:11:04 AM »
Tut tut CAB, I spot two leader that cross on that drawing.  That is not good drawing practice.

At last a chink in your seemingly perfect CAD armour :D
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
QLEADER settings
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 10:20:37 AM »
Oh, far from perfect.
A bit lazy at times too.
Looks like I added that note & was too lazy to rearrange the ones below it.
Next thing you'll be checking the spelling, Oh My. :oops:

grush

QLEADER settings
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 02:05:03 PM »
CAB-
I like those curved leaders. One of the guys in my office is looking for something like that. How did you do them? Do you have the lisp for it?

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
QLEADER settings
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 02:53:12 PM »
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 10:19:32 PM by CAB »

grush

QLEADER settings
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 08:19:33 AM »
Thanks CAB, but I have a question. How can I modify the code to make the arrowhead based on my dimasz and ltscale? Your help is greatly appreciated,

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
QLEADER settings
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 08:46:59 AM »
Quote from: grush
Thanks CAB, but I have a question. How can I modify the code to make the arrowhead based on my dimasz and ltscale? Your help is greatly appreciated,

Take a look a this routine:
http://theswamp.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=45077#45077

sinc

Re: QLEADER settings
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 11:20:37 AM »
Quote from: hyposmurf
Do you have prompt for width set and what do you normally set your width to for each drawing scale?I release that the width is also dependant on where the text is being placed in the drawing,but thought users might find that certain widths usually looked best in certain scale drawings.
Also when creating leaders do you try to line the notes up for a number of leaders or just place them where they best suit?Ive often seen drawings that look like some kid has scribbled over them,from over use of leaders that stretch across drawings.Some of you have started using numbers instead when a drawing calls for alot of notation.
Just trying to get a feel of how others use the their leaders.

I always leave the width setting off; most of my leader texts are short one-liners.  But I keep the properties window on auto-hide at the right edge of my screen.  So, if I decide the leader text line is too long and the leader needs a width, I select the leader, mouse-over the properties window, and enter a random number like 100 in the width.  Then I go and drag the width to fit.

I too dislike leaders that stretch too far across a screen.  If an area needs too much labelling, I'll usually break it out into a detail, and do some or all of the labeling in the detail.

hyposmurf

QLEADER settings
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 03:25:16 PM »
This following on with the QLEADER so I thought it best to keep things together in the same thread.
I have now made a few additions to my QLEADER macro.By adding Layer;Make;Layername;; between the "^C^C" and "_QLEADER" portion of the existing macro everytime I use the QLEADER command it will be onn the correct layer.
What I'd like to do now is have two macros one for the normal QLEADER with MTEXT and one without none.M-dub posted the macors ages ago,but I just cant seem to find them.

hyposmurf

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 07:52:55 AM »
Company standards hear are to left justify all text,so I'm trying to set my QLEADER macro up so that it sets the QLEADER text left justified.I don't have the exact macro with me at the moment,as I'm sitting at another PC, will post it later.Where I run into problems is that I want to enter the QLEADER settings but suppress the pop up.Have tried FILEDIA but doesn't seem to have an effect.Maybe I could try this operation through the LEADER command, but couldn't find a way to left justify the text with that option.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 08:17:01 AM »
You may not be able to supress that dialog box.

Here is a command line lisp. http://www.theswamp.org/forum/index.php?topic=1475.msg18486#msg18486