Author Topic: Point File Example  (Read 9353 times)

Chris

• Swamp Rat
Point File Example
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:53:21 AM »
does anyone have a point file that uses the newer linework code set for Civil 3D that they would be/are able to share.  We are transitioning from Eagle Point to Civil 3D and we're trying to figure out the best way to go.  Right now our two options are, use a custom program to completely re-write our point files to something C3D can use, or retrain our survey department to code it using the C3D format.  I'd really like to know how C3D can handle a single point, at which multiple lines come together (Back of curb, Front of Walk, edge of drive).  Are there several shots at that one point, or can C3D handle the multiple linecodes.

Thanks,
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10

Chris

• Swamp Rat
Re: Point File Example
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 12:51:02 PM »
ok, eventually if you search and search through AutoCAD's convoluted help system, you can achieve the answers you are looking for. Point file problem almost solved.  I got multiple lines to start/end at a single point.  Now my question is, is there a way to show the leading element and comment in the point's formatted description.
I've got a shot, the code is BC C/DUBDOWN  I want the description to say BC DUBDOWN

Thanks,
Win 10

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 06:52:18 AM »
ok, eventually if you search and search through AutoCAD's convoluted help system, you can achieve the answers you are looking for. Point file problem almost solved.  I got multiple lines to start/end at a single point.  Now my question is, is there a way to show the leading element and comment in the point's formatted description.
I've got a shot, the code is BC C/DUBDOWN  I want the description to say BC DUBDOWN

Thanks,
That happens later in the point label style as configured in your description key set.  If I understand your question.

As to the first part of the question you will be better served to retrain the surveyors to take maximum advantage of the various line coding that C3D allows.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 06:59:22 AM »
That is the plan, have the surveyors use c3d codes. I really don't want to maintain a conversion program. I've been looking at the descriptor keys and can't figure out how to display comments in the descriptions
Win 10

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 07:29:48 AM »
I think for the type of 'comments' you are after a custom point file ormat and user defined properties might be in order.
Perhaps send or post a sample of your output file for me to look at.
This is the type of thing I usually assist in resolving during a training session.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 07:34:02 AM »
Using OOTB C3D codes:
1,5000.000,5000.000,925.00,BC C/DUBDOWN

I'd like the point description to say:
BC DUBDOWN

but if you cant display comments, I guess we'll just have to settle with BC
Win 10

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 07:52:15 AM »
Using OOTB C3D codes:
1,5000.000,5000.000,925.00,BC C/DUBDOWN

I'd like the point description to say:
BC DUBDOWN

but if you cant display comments, I guess we'll just have to settle with BC

That may be the coding...however what is the ascii output file content?

One can use up to NINE pieces of information in your description, and user defined properties to enrich what you get for point descripitons and labels.
I have effectively helped others work this into their procedures to gather additional data for urban sanitary and storm drain features.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 07:56:37 AM »
thats how the guys in the field would code it BC C/DUBDOWN.  Thats how I see it in the txt file that I get to reduce.

perhaps I dont understand what you are asking for.

I suppose they could code it BC C DUBDOWN and then for the formatting I could use $0 $2 to show what I want.
Win 10

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »
thats how the guys in the field would code it BC C/DUBDOWN.  Thats how I see it in the txt file that I get to reduce.

perhaps I dont understand what you are asking for.

I suppose they could code it BC C DUBDOWN and then for the formatting I could use $0 $2 to show what I want.
YES!

I know what BC is....Although WHAT in the worlds is DUBDOWN?

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 08:37:35 AM »
dubdown is the part of the curb head that is lower for sidewalk ramps/driveway openings.
Win 10

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 08:48:18 AM »
dubdown is the part of the curb head that is lower for sidewalk ramps/driveway openings.

Around these parts we call those "wings" or "ramps"...nothing is lost in translation.   ;-)

I have yet to discover what they call them here in Doha. It's anyones quess at this stage.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »
Here's a little "cheat sheet" I started putting together for our field guys.

The only difference between this and C3D's defaults is that, since the "Continue" command is pretty much unnecessary, I made "C" stand for "Close" instead of "Continue".  I believe I have "Continue" set to CONT, although I notice it's missing from the cheat sheet.  Our field guys pretty much never use "Continue", so I hadn't really paid much attention to it.  (They pretty much never use "End", either.)

Something that looks like a possible conflict in what you're doing is that "BC" is also the command for "Begin Curve".  It seems like things could get hairy if you have a "BC" figure prefix as well as a "BC" linework command code.

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 07:43:18 PM »
With Eagle Point we used - for point on curve. So to eliminate the issue with BC and ec, we went with b- and e- I think we've nailed down a system that'll work. I spent a while working on it today. I'll take a look at your example and see if there is anything that might work better for us.
Win 10

Dent Cermak

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »
Chris, here's what you need:

(Keeping my head low to dodge the flack that is sure to come!!!   :lmao:)

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »
sorry, I also need to be able to create plan and profile sheets.
Win 10