Author Topic: CTB or STB  (Read 11618 times)

Chris

• Swamp Rat
CTB or STB
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:15:22 AM »
We're considering a switch at our office from CTB to STB, I really cant find much information on STBs, what do you use and why?
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10

Birdy

Re: CTB or STB
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 12:37:16 PM »
ctb.
because they work.
I have not seen a compelling reason to switch to stb.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:39:22 PM »
And so, it begins again... let the battles commence!  :evil:

We use CTB.  Its what our clients use, and between us and them we have tens of thousands of files already set up for CTB.  While making the change is possible, thats unnecessary work.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
A little more info may be required.

We are switching to Civil 3D from our existing software, so I thought now may be a good time to look at what we do, and re-evaluate why it is that we do it.  CTB's were what we used in the past, but we have so many colors that do the same thing.
Win 10

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:48:34 PM »
ctb.
because they work.
x2
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 12:56:13 PM »
CTB that is what we recieve and already setup

I do not like STB's  because it took me forever to get rid of last STB I caught.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »
CTB that is what we recieve and already setup

I do not like STB's  because it took me forever to get rid of last STB I caught.

Gotta stop messing with those Pmp's.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10

danallen

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 03:43:19 PM »
We use CTBs, but I like the concept of STB to have simpler control over lineweight and screening options. But I still depend on seeing the color on a screen to tell me what lineweight something will plot. Using STB's it can be too easy to get the color of a layer and it's plotting weight disconnected.

Dan

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 03:47:58 PM »
8 replys, 5 votes, not bad.  Actually after further review, the shortcomings of STB seem to be outweighing the advantages.
STB, you cant easily override a plot style by changing the color of a subentity (i.e., Dimension styles, multileaders)
Other than that, there really is no difference between the two the way I see it.
Win 10

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »
Other than that, there really is no difference between the two the way I see it.
I give it a couple hours until a STB advocate reads that and they will let you know the difference  >:D :)

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »
darn, I'm going home in an hour, guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to hear the rebuttal.
Win 10

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »
Chris, if you have access to Autodesk University, David Garrigues' class Civil 3DŽ Caffeinated Tips and Tricks: A Yard Sale, Tip #9 has some good arguments for using STB, and explains how to implement them. We still use CTB's, even though I've been pushing for STB for a few years.

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 04:20:56 PM »
Chris, if you have access to Autodesk University, David Garrigues' class Civil 3DŽ Caffeinated Tips and Tricks: A Yard Sale, Tip #9 has some good arguments for using STB, and explains how to implement them. We still use CTB's, even though I've been pushing for STB for a few years.
Informative, however, it still doesnt address what to do if you are using Dimensions/Multileaders, in which the lines are different shading than the text.
Win 10

mammajamma

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 10:43:47 AM »
CTB.
In this case, "Because it's what we've always done", seems to be a valid enough reason.
It's very, very rare that we get a vendor or client drawing using STB, so I would say that CTB is pretty close to industry standard. (I haven't heard of any of our newbs being at all confused about using CTB, either.)

Additionally, no one has been able to explain how changing to STB would benefit us as a company.

M-dub

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »
ctb.
because they work.

Yep... Pretty much.
:)

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 01:00:05 PM »
Informative, however, it still doesnt address what to do if you are using Dimensions/Multileaders, in which the lines are different shading than the text.

If your Dimension Text uses a TTF font instead of an SHX, the the color/weight assigned to the text will have no affect on the plotted appearance of the text.  The TTF outline definition will over-ride.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 01:04:04 PM »
unless you are applying a shaded value to the text (60%)  I'm working on getting a bold font so we dont need to use shaded text to make some text stand out.
Win 10