Author Topic: Object DBX  (Read 13530 times)

Coder

• Swamp Rat
Object DBX
« on: September 05, 2011, 02:34:46 AM »
Hello .

I have seen lots of people around recommending or indicating to Object DBX .

How can I collect information about this theme and what's the best way to understand it as easy as it could be  :-D ?

Many thanks

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
Re: Object DBX
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 06:52:48 AM »
If you have a good understanding of the AutoCAD Object Model, and are familiar with the various properties and methods pertaining to such, the transition to ObjectDBX isn't too difficult.

With ObjectDBX you can interface with a Drawing file without opening the file in the AutoCAD editor. You create an ObjectDBX Document Object and load the Drawing file into this Document. From there you can manipulate the ObjectDBX Document in the same way as you might manipulate the Active Document Object.

Just be aware that there are restrictions to what methods you can use with an ObjectDBX Document. For example, you cannot use SelectionSets, and don't have access to System Variables.

Coder

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 12:30:51 AM »
With ObjectDBX you can interface with a Drawing file without opening the file in the AutoCAD editor. You create an ObjectDBX Document Object and load the Drawing file into this Document. From there you can manipulate the ObjectDBX Document in the same way as you might manipulate the Active Document Object.

That's what I am looking forward . Creating ObjectDBX to manipulate with the Layers , Blocks, Textstyles ....... etc .

I would like to know how to start with that ( create the DBX document and interface it ) .

Many thanks Lee

Pepe

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 03:26:29 AM »
Hi, Coder!

Try to find 'The Visual LISP Developers Bible', by David Stern Stein. There's a whole chapter about ObjectDBX. Now, the book has copyright, but I think still can be found for free an old copy of the '2003' version of the book (when it was free!) through the Internet.

Regards!

Coder

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 12:08:46 AM »
Thank you Pepe .

I have found it in the book , and I will start to read it .

Highly appreciated .

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 12:36:47 AM »
Guys, The Visual LISP Developer's Bible, 2011 Edition is only $7. Just saying.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 01:08:22 AM »
Interesting. Last I heard, David had given up on updating the VLDB back around 2004 or 2005, and it was always a free download from his website. Now, if he decided to make a buck or two off the updated version, more power to him! But if this is someone posing as David to make a buck..... I have no knowledge either way, it just caught me by surprise to see RenderMan's link.

Back to coder's quest... a number of years ago I wrote an article for a now defunct website on how to get started with ObjectDBX. I'll see if I can find the original and post it here (perhaps I already did so a long time ago, I surely can't recall though).

Coder

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 01:25:49 AM »

Back to coder's quest... a number of years ago I wrote an article for a now defunct website on how to get started with ObjectDBX. I'll see if I can find the original and post it here (perhaps I already did so a long time ago, I surely can't recall though).

Very Interesting , and I hope that you could find it soon .

Thank you so much Jeff_M .

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 07:13:22 AM »
Interesting. Last I heard, David had given up on updating the VLDB back around 2004 or 2005, and it was always a free download from his website. Now, if he decided to make a buck or two off the updated version, more power to him! But if this is someone posing as David to make a buck..... I have no knowledge either way, it just caught me by surprise to see RenderMan's link.

Here is David Stein's actual site, which directly links to the Amazon purchase I linked above. This is the real deal, and not some knock-off, copycat author.

I purchased his book this year, and have actually been in email contact with him, initially to voice my disliking of the eBook being relegated to the Kindle platform, etc. I can go into more detail if you'd like, but suffice it to say the 2011 edition is not being presented in hardcopy, or PDF until enough proceeds have been earned through his contract with Amazon - he's felt the economic hit as well.

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 07:39:32 AM »
There used to be available a fantastic AU 2007 handout (CP311-4.pdf) by Doug Broad which had a section on ObjectDBX among other advanced Visual LISP topics.

But it appears the link is now broken  :-(

http://augiru.augi.com/content/library/au07/data/paper/CP311-4.pdf

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 07:46:13 AM »

... a number of years ago I wrote an article for a now defunct website on how to get started with ObjectDBX. I'll see if I can find the original and post it here (perhaps I already did so a long time ago, I surely can't recall though).

This the one Jeff ??

Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 08:07:14 AM »
David is an amazing guy.
Im glad that up upgraded the book from 04; the book was too good to be left for dead.
RenderMan if you talk to him again, please tell him that the guys at theSwamp miss him (If he remembers us).
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 08:18:43 AM »
This the one Jeff ??
Most definitely, Kerry. Thanks for hanging on to it! :-) I know I have it on my old old laptop and my backup drive, but that just saved me having to dig through them.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 08:21:31 AM »
Here is David Stein's actual site, which directly links to the Amazon purchase I linked above. This is the real deal, and not some knock-off, copycat author.
Great to hear!

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 10:16:20 AM »
There used to be available a fantastic AU 2007 handout (CP311-4.pdf) by Doug Broad which had a section on ObjectDBX among other advanced Visual LISP topics.

I first learned about ObjectDBX from Robert Bell's AU course: Good Habits for Coding in Visual LISP <-- Direct link to PDF

David is an amazing guy.
Im glad that up upgraded the book from 04; the book was too good to be left for dead.

I really enjoy David's books... I read the 2003 edition before the 2011 edition ever came out. It helped me a lot.

RenderMan if you talk to him again, please tell him that the guys at theSwamp miss him (If he remembers us).

I'd be happy to tell him, however, IMO it would be more meaningful for him to hear it from the members that actually knew him, or those that are just fans of his work instead, no?

He personally responded to the comments I submitted on his Contact page. Now I have no idea if he'll be willing/able to respond to each submission, but certainly he'll read them.

Scratch that, I'll email him a link to this thread instead: Thank you, David Stein!

codered8x

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 05:20:18 AM »
Thank Jeff, Kdub_bne and RenderMan for sharing documents about objectDBX.

Langbolt

• Mosquito
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 12:28:28 PM »
Here's a Link to the Visual LISP Developer's Bible - 2011 Edition

https://dokumen.tips/download/link/the-visual-lisp-developers-bible-2011-edition

:)

capsochist

• Newt
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 08:43:12 AM »

But it appears the link is now broken  :-(

http://augiru.augi.com/content/library/au07/data/paper/CP311-4.pdf

Hi Lee,

Is this the PDF that you are referencing?

https://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/130/356436/1/Vlide%20and%20Vlisp%20Reference.pdf

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 09:00:21 AM »
Holy necrothreading.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

capsochist

• Newt
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 10:02:23 AM »
Holy necrothreading.

:evil: Or I could ask the same questions someone else has answered and be pointed back to a thread from 2011...