Author Topic: PC3 File: Custom Paper Size not Taking on Different Computers  (Read 18705 times)

ziko30

• Newt
This has been discussed on some threads, but I am still not able to see my way clear to fixing my problem. Could use some help.

First What I did: Create a PC3 file for a plotter and place it in folder on the network.
                                Get all users at different workstations to point to this PC3 through Printer Configuration Search
Path

Questions:
      1) Should all the users be able to see the same paper size customization when they use this PC3 file or is this something to       be set on each individual work station?
       2) Will attaching a PMP file to PC3 file fix this? Also I am not sure how to set up a PMP file.  Looks like autocad creates it when you do customization.

============== Acad Map 3D 2009================

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: PC3 File: Custom Paper Size not Taking on Different Computers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »
Are you using a named Page Setup?

try Creating Named Page Setup on any of the computers where the PC3 file is working
then import that page setup into a NEW drawing on a computer where it is NOT working and test...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

ziko30

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »
Are you using a named Page Setup?

try Creating Named Page Setup on any of the computers where the PC3 file is working
then import that page setup into a NEW drawing on a computer where it is NOT working and test...

Created Named Page Setup on computer with the right paper size customization and imported into new drawing on another computer. Did not work. The page setup is imported successfully, but when I pick the PC3 file and look in the drop-down for paper sizes I don't see the sizes created on the first computer.

But I can set paper sizes on each computer and associate it with the said PC 3 file. Looks like it sticks so far. Thats how I will do it for now...
============== Acad Map 3D 2009================

butzers09silverado

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:44:17 AM »
make sure you have mapped the location for both folders
printer configuration search path
\\yourserver\_standards\design\cad\plotters

printer description file search path
\\yourserver\_standards\design\cad\plotters\pmp

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
PMP files store such things as custom paper sizes.  In AutoCAD, how the PMP file is stored and referenced is a little wierd, especially when you develop locally then push the files to the network.  The full path to the PMP for a particular PC3 is stored in the PC3, but AutoCAD still uses the configuration setting to find them (its a long-standing complaint).  Here's what I do (from inside AutoCAD):

First, change the AutoCAD config settings for both the PC3 and PMP files to the development folder.  Then edit the development PC3, remembering to save the changes from the PC3 edit dialog; this should prompt you to save a PMP file to the development PMP folder.  The PC3 edit dialog will show the full path for the PMP in use.  Once everything is set the way you like save the changes and close the PC3 edit dialog.  Take the PMP and move it to the common network location, and change the AutoCAD PMP folder to the "proper" network folder.  Re-edit the PC3, loading the PMP from the network location.  Finally, move the PC3 to the network and change the AutoCAD path and test.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

butzers09silverado

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »
PMP files store such things as custom paper sizes.  In AutoCAD, how the PMP file is stored and referenced is a little wierd, especially when you develop locally then push the files to the network.  The full path to the PMP for a particular PC3 is stored in the PC3, but AutoCAD still uses the configuration setting to find them (its a long-standing complaint).  Here's what I do (from inside AutoCAD):

First, change the AutoCAD config settings for both the PC3 and PMP files to the development folder.  Then edit the development PC3, remembering to save the changes from the PC3 edit dialog; this should prompt you to save a PMP file to the development PMP folder.  The PC3 edit dialog will show the full path for the PMP in use.  Once everything is set the way you like save the changes and close the PC3 edit dialog.  Take the PMP and move it to the common network location, and change the AutoCAD PMP folder to the "proper" network folder.  Re-edit the PC3, loading the PMP from the network location.  Finally, move the PC3 to the network and change the AutoCAD path and test.

we have a security group that excludes all but 5 people from these standards folder, our IT/CAD committee members are the only ones who can modify, this allows us to keep and modify our standards without pushing, but I'm not sure if this addresses the weirdness you speak of?

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 01:49:49 PM »
The wierdness isn't from permissions but rather the duality of having the full path coded into a specific PC3 file while there is a search path in the AutoCAD configuration settings.  The PC3 provides the full qualified file name but AutoCAD still wants to find it under the search folder.  If it doesn't exist as specified in the PC3 file *and* under the AutoCAD search path it won't be used.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

RAYG11757

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 09:37:33 AM »
I am having the same problem with the "named page setup," and I have tried dgorsman's suggestions.  The difference is that we are running AutoCAD as identical standalone versions on each computer, with the customization pushed from a master computer.  We all read the same template from the server, so our page setups should be identical.  However, the page setups act differently on each computer.

The "Printer Description File Search Path" and "Printer Configuration File Search Path" in Preferences are both set to the same local directory on each computer.  To allow for the "duality" discussed by dgorsman, the PC3 file for the master computer in the PC3 "Plotter Configuration Editor" is set to the same directory as the configuration file, and I selected the "Save PMP" button.  The "Plotter Configuration Editor" shows that the new PMP file matches the same local directory listed in Preferences.

To push the configuration onto other machines around the office, I copied the PC3 and PMP files to the same local directories on each individual computer and I verified that the search paths in Preferences matches.  In the PC3 "Plotter Configuration Editor" I verified that the path matches the AutoCAD Preferences search path.  Still the problem continues, and surprisingly each page setup acts differently on each computer.

1.  What am I doing wrong?

2.  Is there still a "duality" problem, where the PC3 and AutoCAD configuration settings are looking for the PMP in different locations?

3.  Are the PMP files necessary?  If a PC3 file does not use customized settings, is the PMP file used?  Most of the PMP files on my computer are very old. 

4.  Do I need a separate PMP file for each different PC3 file?  For example, it looks like Adobe PDR writer created a PMP file on my computer.

5.  Did Ziko30 ever find a solution to this problem?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:49:59 AM by RAYG11757 »

RAYG11757

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 04:01:16 PM »
Okay... Problem solved.  It seems that the drivers may have been slightly different on individual computers.

Step 1:  Deleted the old plotter drivers, including the old Adobe driver, on each computer.

Step 2:  Reinstalled the drivers from the same .INF-file source on all computers, including the Adobe driver ("Adobe Help -> Detect/Repair" will reinstall the
Adobe driver and the computer then automatically reboot).

Step 3:  Recreated all .PC3 files on the master computer.  (Note that the .PC3 files do not appear to use .PMP files)

Step 4:  "Pushed" all .PC3 files from the master to each computer.

Step 5:  Updated all "Named Page Setups" in the master template file <s:\Server\...\Standard.dwt> located on the server to ensure the page setups were reading the new PC3 files, so that the names were changed from "None."  All other settings in the Named Page Setup appeared to "stick" and did not require changing.

Only lost a day and a half on this one, but thankfully back in business.

Thanks for the help.
Ray
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:06:18 PM by RAYG11757 »

butzers09silverado

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »
well i'll be damned, when i try to attach our .pmp file to the plotter it's gives me the error stating the driver in the pmp is not the same as the current driver and model....

now what.... there's no WAY i'm remaking all of those custom page sizes.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 12:44:29 PM »
*Zombies*

Just ran into this after recently restoring default settings, and while I thankfully did not have to remake everything, I did end up having to detach, and re-attach the PMP file before the custom page sizes would plot successfully.

Cheers
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."