Author Topic: 2009 Superelevation transitions/overlapping  (Read 5835 times)

wbonnet

2009 Superelevation transitions/overlapping
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:21:34 AM »
I am trying to superelevate a road based on the alignment features in Autocad Civil 3D 2009.  I have set the alignment properties to calculate superelevation for all of my curves, but there are areas where the transitions overlap.  What are these transition stations that you can add, and what do they do in 2009, I can't seem to find any documentation on this topic whatsoever.  I really think it may be easier to do this in excel.  Was hoping to easily apply superelevation with 2/3 super at my PT and PCs, then input a transition for instance, from RT lane slope 2.0 to -4.8 over a distance of 29 meters.  For now I have been calculating everything in excel, and finding the delta e(slope) in my transition length to find what my slope will be at each particular station.

Any takers?  I'd greatly appreciate the help, been looking at this particular topic for a while now.

Bill 

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: 2009 Superelevation transitions/overlapping
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:13:02 AM »
I'll look at this in 2011, will need to find a HD with 2009 still running on it.

Back in a bit....

This all should be happening in the Tabular Editor for your alignment.
Of note:
In situations where an overlap occurs, a warning symbol  is displayed in the Overlap column. Click  for options to automatically resolve the overlap or ignore the overlap
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:24:30 AM by Higgs Boson's Mate »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

wbonnet

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:26:14 AM »
It does not appear that this overlap feature is in 2009's version.

wbonnet

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:27:49 AM »
Also, there is no warning symbol at stations that overlap, there are arrows to the left on the superelevation table though, so I can see where I am overlapping.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
It does not appear that this overlap feature is in 2009's version.
One would wonder if it couldn't be 'solved' in 2011, and then exported backwards with XML and have it remain intact. ? ? ?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

wbonnet

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 10:46:10 AM »
One would only consider that as a last option.  I do not have 2011, and I can manually input my values if necessary, it would take a really long time.  I am looking for a way to do this in 2009, for both my current purpose, as well as for future projects.  Is this a quick fix in 2011?  It appears to be from all the youtube videos and documentation on it.  Man, I wish we had bought 2011 for this project. 

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:55:41 AM »
the overlapping could be 'automatically' resolved for the entire alignment...
I would think that and XML transplant from 2011 to your '09 would be fairly quick and painless. (more so than key stroking it in)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

wbonnet

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:55:47 AM »
Is this an offer? Ha!  Michael, a request for your opinion on purchasing the new version of AutoCAD has been made, what do you think?  It seems to me that it makes this type of work much much more efficient.

wbonnet

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 11:59:20 AM »
If you think the import should work lets try it!  As for the automatic fixing, I think that it doesn't fix the problem, but rather removes all stations that have overlapping... from what the documentation online says.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 12:00:16 PM »
Is this an offer? Ha!  Michael, a request for your opinion on purchasing the new version of AutoCAD has been made, what do you think?  It seems to me that it makes this type of work much much more efficient.
I would suggest that an upgrade might be in order, as well as training for all users to get the most out of it right away to offset the expense.

And certainly I would process that file/data for you.   ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »
If you think the import should work lets try it!  As for the automatic fixing, I think that it doesn't fix the problem, but rather removes all stations that have overlapping... from what the documentation online says.
From help file:

Automatically Resolve Overlap
Select this check box to automatically detect overlap conditions and eliminate the overlapping stations. All transition stations between the End Full Superelevation station on the first curve and the Begin Full Superelevation on the second curve are removed, for compound or reverse situations. This option is only available when superelevation is applied to the whole alignment.

What this actually means we wont know until we run it and see the results.  What it appears to mean is that the end portions of the overlapped curve is truncated where the overlap occurs to create a vertical point of tagency.
Would that be the desired result?
Or were you want to actually edit said curve data to remove the actual overlapping entirely?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

wbonnet

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 01:14:55 PM »
OK, so 2012 does exactly that, removes the stations with overlapping, and allows you to create your own transitions.  Are you saying that it is not necessary to remove the overlapping stations?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »
  Are you saying that it is not necessary to remove the overlapping stations?
no it is not required to do this manually
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

wbonnet

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 01:45:50 PM »
Could you please elaborate?  I need to calculate all quantities using AutoCAD.  Obviously the quantities will change with superelevation of curves.  If I do not adjust the overlapping, do I not have areas that have 2 different superelevation rates for a lane?  It appears that one station has a rate according the the first curve, and the next 1m station has the superelevation for the following curve, doesn't appear to be a smooth transition.  Am I missing something?  I figure I will need to adjust these transitions... no?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 03:54:16 PM »
I'll run the data you sent...and look at sections, I'm pretty sure that the sampled surface volume data is going to be correct.
In that the overlap removal tool is getting rid of the overlaped areas.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell