Author Topic: mapiinsert issue  (Read 5821 times)

banner

mapiinsert issue
« on: May 17, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Good afternoon fellow swampers.

I'm trying to insert an image (albeit a 400mb image) into a c3d dwg. 

When I go through the mapiinsert command, it's giving me an error "......tif was not found or is not valid."

The tif is basically a portion of town (basically a 1/4 section of land), and the image is being exported using Arcgis (a program I'm not familiar with at all) from an overall aerial of an entire town. (a 10Gb) file.

Everything points me to believe there has got to be some sort of error on the Arcgis export side of things, as I can't even view the image using windows picture viewer, paint, or various other image viewing softwares.

File size shouldn't be an issue, as I've put tifs larger than 400mb into dwgs before....any thoughts from anyone familiar with arcgis?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: mapiinsert issue
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »
please send me a copy of that image to test...FTP data provided as needed (check your inbox)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

banner

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 04:02:06 PM »
Call me a dunce, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get it on your ftp site.

All I see is a few directories and a couple dwgs.

banner

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
NM...windows exporer, ftw.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »
While I await this gargantuan image file to squeeze through the intertubes; is this a GEO referenced file and if YES, may I see that file too?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 06:06:45 PM »
So far I have some sort of Alpha channel error when attempting to open your image file outside of MAP.
This error isn't specific to C3D or MAP so is excluded.  However I believe that it is the cause of the error you are having.
Further the image seemingly will not open in Windows Photo Gallery either.

It is suggested that if you can open this file in any application that you do a save as to another format, and back to perhaps fix whatever went bad with that Alpha channel data.

Trying to attach same image as XREF produces the attached image results (errors).
Although this could be my fault, (awaiting download of original file) will test again.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »
Try installing the Raster Object Enabler. It might give you a few more file types.  But I am not sure if will add more file type options to Civil 3D.  We use to install Raster Object Enabler with vanilla AutoCAD to get extra image insert options.

Hope it helps
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

drizzt

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »
I have run into this problem before and discovered there are two different kinds of tif images. Not sure what the difference is, but I opened in windows photo viewer and saved a copy. It then would insert into AutoCAD.